Data Studio
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Segments and updated filter options now available!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just logged in this morning to make some updates to a dashboard I'm building and it looks like Google have added the ability to pull in and use Analytics Segments and they've revised the Filter setup so you can use "And" & "Or" statements now as well as other matching options in your filters.

Nice to see a few of the issues addressed with this update.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great, but new update also introduced some not-so-smart ideas like duplicated entries being hard linked with filters (change in one would affect all of them). Similar with copy.

Before the update, one could copy scorecard from page 1 to page 2 and choose different filters for each scorecard. After the recent update, scorecard copied from page1 is hard linked with scorecard copy from page2 - any changes to the scorecard will affect the other. This makes building the report twice as long as before.

Not fun at all.

Google could you please revert the change?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Totally agree with that! Get me a lot of trouble with my reports. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah interesting, I'd not noticed that yet. 

That's a large step backwards if it's an intentional change for the platform, hopefully it was just an oversight and it'll be reverted soon. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Agree totally.  Let's hope Google's developers understand the real world implications this has. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

OK, there is simple resolution to the problem... I must confess I was a bit messy. What happened I haven't been paying attention to the filter naming (as it hasn't had much implication before the update) so I used a lot of "Campaign filter" and only changed the rule. When I started to name a filter with the rule / campaign / ad group used, it was easy to duplicate the page and only adjust the filter (add a new filter for the page and do not use the filter that was specifically created for different campaign). 

I hope this will help Smiley Happy Thanks

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi all,

Yes, when you create a filter, anytime you apply that filter to a chart, it's the same filter. So when you copy a chart with a filter, the new chart has the same filter. We actually think that's a really good thing, as you can now easily filter charts without having to build a separate filter for each one. 

Of course, if you want to have different filters on each chart, you still can.

You can learn more about resuing filters here: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/7327563?ref_topic=7327560