Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Segment vs. Filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My User counts are not matching when using  a filter+segment and using only a segment.

1. When using ONLY my segment, this is the home segment configuration: screen name=/home, so all sessions in which users hit home. RESULT: 1.7M Users

2. When using the home segment along with a filter, the filter configuration: screen name=/home. RESULT: 1.8M Users

Why are they not matching and why do i get a higher number when adding the filter? Shouldn't a filter "shrink" the data set?

Any insight would be great! Thanks

1.PNG

Segment vs. Filter

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

My guess is that since you are applying a Segment and a Filter, something is double counting a portion of your users.  I'm a little confused why you would apply a Segment and a Filter at the same time if they're both the same filter?  Is there another use case you're trying to solve for?

Segment vs. Filter

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

What is the actual filter you are using? Maybe it will includes other pages. I would need to see your "formula". 

Segment vs. Filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Segments and filters are not the same. Check this post https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Filters-vs-segments/ba-p/888859