AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Scorecard reports different numbers than time series in DataStudio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a report with GA data and I discovered that if I plot users over a range of days I get a different value in the scorecard compared to the time series. In the example below the scorecard value should be 18 but it's 17. This is getting worse when I look at data in a greater span of time.

Both elements have the same data source and are linked to a date range element.

screenshot.png

This is the report: https://datastudio.google.com/open/0B_qf-8O9bDSCS1JOeVgyYmgxM00

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonas B
December 2016

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Jonas,

I checked with our developers now understand what's going on:

This is actually the expected behavior.

If you query only for users, as you are doing in the scorecard, you will get unique users across the entire time frame.

But if you break it down by date, you are asking for unique users per day. You cannot add these numbers to get the total unique users for the time period as you will potentially over count the users (i.e. have the same user counted more than once).

So in other words, scorecards aren't necessarily the same as totaling the numbers in other charts.

Hope this helps.

Rick

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jonas

Just to be sure, can you tell me if there are any filters on that report? And what the time dimension is set to? (E.g., is it standard GA Date dimension, or is it coming from BigQuery? )

Thanks!

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

There are no filters set for the time series and scorecard that I used as an example but on the report are other elements that have filters.

The time dimension on the time series is "Date" but on the scorecard the time dimension field is not shown so I don't know what's being used there.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonas B
December 2016

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Jonas,

I checked with our developers now understand what's going on:

This is actually the expected behavior.

If you query only for users, as you are doing in the scorecard, you will get unique users across the entire time frame.

But if you break it down by date, you are asking for unique users per day. You cannot add these numbers to get the total unique users for the time period as you will potentially over count the users (i.e. have the same user counted more than once).

So in other words, scorecards aren't necessarily the same as totaling the numbers in other charts.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Right! It all makes sense now! Thanks!