Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Scorecard for COUNT_DISTINCT Hostnames Not Lining Up

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Client is trying to compare the unique number of hostnames to a Google Analytics view and the numbers we are seeing do not line up.

We created a Custom Metric in Data Studio titled Count of Domains that is: COUNT_DISTINCT(Hostname)

I'm assuming this should return the distinct number of hostnames that have visited the site.  When I create a Scorecard with this metric I receive 6,289.  However if I create a table with the standard hostname dimension, I can see the table returns 5,782 results.  (screen shot below).

2017-04-28_1448.png

Maybe these numbers shouldn't be 100% lined up, but I would certainly expect them to be much closer.  

Are we misinterpreting what COUNT_DISTINCT(Hostname) should return?  And/or what is the better way to measure the number of hostnames to the site?

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been having some issues as well. It appears that Studio first groups/aggregates the table on some dimension and then adds up the COUNT_UNIQUE for all values of that dimension. I really wish that I could switch off "aggregate" from "Auto" to "none" on everything...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jan,

So do you think it's fair to say to NOT use the count_unique as the total count right now, but rather use the total number of rows from a table, like in my previous screen shot?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It appears that Google has fixed this issue... it counts OK now for me.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am still having this problem