AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Returning dimension from metric

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

HI,

I am trying to create a custom dimension using goal completions metrics. I want to be able to use this new dimension as a filter control to allow me to filter on total goal completions for either all goals or the selected ones - similarly to what you can do in GA Goal Overview report using the Goal Option filter. 

I was trying to use a formula like:  CASE WHEN Goal (Goal 1 Completions)>0 THEN 'Goal 1' ELSE 'Other' END

However, this returns another metric rather than dimension and I can't use it as a filter....any idea how to convert it into dimension? There is no option to change the type to TEXT in the fields editor.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Can you change the Aggregation to None? This should convert the metric to a dimension.

Re: Returning dimension from metric

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It doesn't give me that option. In theory the metric is created as "text" with aggregation set to auto. Also, if I change the type to e.g. number, the text type option disappears and I'm stuck with either number of currency...

example.png

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Magdalena,

Apologies, this looks like a flaw in the Google Analytics connector. You shouldn't actually be able to create a CASE statement with a metric in the formula. This will be fixed soon, but unfortunately, that doesn't help what you are trying to do.

I'm wondering if you could try using a custom dimension in Google Analytics to track the goal type? 

Best regards,

Rick