Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Returning dimension from metric

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

HI,

I am trying to create a custom dimension using goal completions metrics. I want to be able to use this new dimension as a filter control to allow me to filter on total goal completions for either all goals or the selected ones - similarly to what you can do in GA Goal Overview report using the Goal Option filter. 

I was trying to use a formula like:  CASE WHEN Goal (Goal 1 Completions)>0 THEN 'Goal 1' ELSE 'Other' END

However, this returns another metric rather than dimension and I can't use it as a filter....any idea how to convert it into dimension? There is no option to change the type to TEXT in the fields editor.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Can you change the Aggregation to None? This should convert the metric to a dimension.

Re: Returning dimension from metric

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It doesn't give me that option. In theory the metric is created as "text" with aggregation set to auto. Also, if I change the type to e.g. number, the text type option disappears and I'm stuck with either number of currency...

example.png

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Magdalena,

Apologies, this looks like a flaw in the Google Analytics connector. You shouldn't actually be able to create a CASE statement with a metric in the formula. This will be fixed soon, but unfortunately, that doesn't help what you are trying to do.

I'm wondering if you could try using a custom dimension in Google Analytics to track the goal type? 

Best regards,

Rick