Guide Me
star_border

Returning a rank # from list in Data Studio

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm new to Data Studio and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do a calculated field that I would like. I have a report of pageviews with 160 institutions that I can filter by institution and date range. I would like to create a calculated field that returns an institution's pageview rank in the list of 160 for that particular date range. For example, if institution A is ranked 85 out of the 160, I would like to return 85 in the report.

Currently, I can do a table that has the "rank", institution name and pageviews (sorted descending by pageviews) but when I filter to institution A, I get "1." as the rank because it is a list of 1. I would either like to have the rank as a separate scorecard or as the original rank in the table (not sure if that's possible). Or if there's another way to get it, that would be fine too.

Any help with that would be great.

Thanks,

Sandy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandy B
July

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Until there's a rank function (Google, it would be fantastic if you could make this available!) a workaround (albeit not ideal) would be to use something like the Google Analytics or SuperMetrics plugins for Google Sheets and pull data out, assign a ranking system, and then use that as your dataset. You can set it up to load automatically, but it's definitely not as good as having it feed directly from GA.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I would love to know this answer too. 

A workaround would be to build the rank formula into Google Sheets (if that's what you're using), but that gets complicated if you want to aggregate the ranks by different date ranges and such. 

Re: Returning a rank # from list in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply. I'm using Data Studio's reports instead of Google Sheets.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What's your datasource?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Analytics

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandy B
July

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Until there's a rank function (Google, it would be fantastic if you could make this available!) a workaround (albeit not ideal) would be to use something like the Google Analytics or SuperMetrics plugins for Google Sheets and pull data out, assign a ranking system, and then use that as your dataset. You can set it up to load automatically, but it's definitely not as good as having it feed directly from GA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. I will try to put that together.