AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Request: Ability to change data source in view only mode.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to share one dashboard, that I can update ( so view only mode).  I want users to be able to use that dashboard and connect their own data sources.

Can I do that now?

Basically I want only one copy of the dashboard to be connectable to different data sources based on the user viewing it.  Which is a common enough use case.

Instead of showing the "no-data" error, can we let them choose their own data source?

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Paul K

If you want users to be able to use that dashboard and connect their own data sources, they need to be administrator first. 

After they have connect their own data sources, you remove them as administrator. 
So after, your will be the only one administrator to update the report and they will be only reader, but you will have still access at their own data sources. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

The use case is slightly different.  I want one dashboard and n data sources partitioned per user all connecting to the same dashboard.  When a user visits my dashboard with all its fancy graphs, they choose which data source to attach to it.

That way I can maintain one dashboard for multiple clients.  Very common use case.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, it's not supported for now in Data Studio.
You can attach 1 data source into 1 page of a dashboard, but you can't not allow 1 user to see 1 page of the report with his data source. 
Or you need to do N dashboard for N users.

You can try do to this in a dashboard weblayout, using Api, depends the owner of their data sources. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, what is a weblayout? and ther is an API for datastudio?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi Paul, 

I mean that you can do this dashboard using a website. You can find many templates of statistic dashboard that you can connect into the data source with an API.

Unfortunately, there is no API working with Data Studio but with Google Analytics.