4.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Report with 2 different data sources is breaking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using 2 different data sources for my reporting, however as of yesterday they keep resetting to "default" which is the GA source. If I change the source for the data connected to my Google Sheet, it breaks everything connected to GA. If I change the GA data back to GA, it breaks everything else. 

In addition, DataStudio doesn't remember the metrics and dimensions for each different piece. So I'm having to re-enter all of that information multiple times.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there a fix?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Becky

That seems odd (and no doubt, distressing!).

Can you list the steps you're going through in detail? Are you setting data sources at the component (chart) level? The page? Whole report?

Re: Report with 2 different data sources is breaking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've tried adjusting page, report, and chart level sources to no avail. I
took a video of what's happening. Another weird thing started: it's not
pulling in the correct dimensions on the "picker" even though the correct
dimensions are showing up when I go to the connection page.

Marketing Report › Page 1 Watch Video

--

*Becky Montchal*
director of marketing
480-596-1500 x117

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Becky

I don't see the video.

Have you tried refreshing the data source connection? If the fields have changed since you defined the data source, that might be throwing things off.

Best regards,

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick, 

Here is another video, that shows me fixing one set of data (checking in page settings and also the chart setting) and the switching to another page with another set of data that uses a different data source. From there, I go back to page 2 (the original changed data) every time I change something. You'll see at the end when it breaks. Any help is appreciated! 

Thank you! 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Following! I'm having the same problem. I've got a multi-page report. One page pulls from two data sources - direct from GA, and then from a google sheet that has supermetrics to pull in segmented GA data (would be SUPER if DS could handle user created segments, btw). I edit the report, save, & make sure the refresh is complete, but as soon as I leave, it loses a variety of things - the data source changes, the metrics change, somre or all of the metrics drop off.  And refreshing doesn't fix it. 

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Becky,

Thanks for that video!

It appears that you are setting the Marketing Report - Content data source as the page level default. Then you are editing the configuration to reconnect that to a different sheet: from Content to Inbound Leads. That's resetting all the fields to the new sheet. I'm not sure that's what you want to do.

Instead of using the page level data source, can you just assign the correct data source to each chart? Data Studio will remember your choice, so new charts will default to using the last data source you applied, but you can always change that to a different one.

Hope this makes sense!

Just FYI, I'm actually on vacation so I won't be able to respond here for a bit, but I will check back when I can to see how you're progressing.

Best regards,

Rick

Re: Report with 2 different data sources is breaking

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Aaron,

Data Studio does, in fact, support GA segments, both standard and custom. Just select the chart and scroll to the bottom of the properties panel; you'll see Add a Segment.

2017-07-31_06-48-01.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. I'm able to use the segments, but my difficulty is with a report that has, say, 5 graphs, from 2--3 different sources (for instance, straight from GA, and then from a googlesheet). There appears to be a conflict in having more than one source support a page. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Becky H
August

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Aaron

A Data Studio component can only have one data source. So if  you want a chart from Google Analytics and a chart from Google Sheets on the same page, you can set the data sources for those components (charts) separately. Or you could have a default data source on the page set to one type (say, GA) and then override the data source for the Google Sheets charts.

Does that make sense?

Rick