AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Renaming Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Community,

is it possible to rename URLs in Google Data Studio? We would like to rename the sites since the URLs are not very meaningful and hard to understand in most cases. We are displaying the URLs and conversions in a table, therefore using the title of the site also didn't work out.

Do you have any idea how to display the URLs and conversions in a meaningful way?

Thank you!

Renaming Destination URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Manuel E

Which URLs are you referring too? Do you mean the Data Studio URLs for your reports, or the URLs in your source data? If the latter, what is your data source? If we are talking about a GA URL then you could break this down into it's component parts to make it more readable, if this is what you are looking for?

Ben

Renaming Destination URL

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ben,

thanks for your reply, I am talking about the destination URLs from Google Analytics. I want to display the URLs in a meaningful way including the conversions. At the moment I am using the metrics destination URL and the goals from Analytics. Since the client's URLs are not optimized, it is not possible to conclude to the page without copying the link.

I have already tried every other metric in the option site tracking (including pagetitle) but I am only able to display the conversions properly if I am using the destination URL.

Renaming Destination URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Manuel,

Okay that makes sense, i'm not sure it will be possible but let's have a go Smiley Happy How would you like the URLs to look? Are you wanting to group them? I wonder if the goals would aggregate if you applied a filter to the data, or used a REGEX_REPLACE to remove the first part of the URL string?

Ben

Renaming Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ben, 

unfortunately the URLs are pretty long and include crucial information in different parts of the links. Could you please show me an example of a REGEX_REPLACE filter, I am not quite sure if I can apply it to my case.

Thank you for your help!

Renaming Destination URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Manuel,

You could use something like this: REGEXP_REPLACE(Page, 'http://www.mysite.com/products/', ' ') to replace the 'http://www.mysite.com/products/' part of the URL with a single blank space, this would make it a bit easier to use in a report, is this what your looking for? Smiley Happy

Ben

Renaming Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ben,

yes this would make it easier, do you have something like a guide for this type of filter? And which type of term do I need for this, is it "include"? 

thanks

Re: Renaming Destination URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Manuel,

For regex you need to make a new field in your data source, you can get to this screen by clicking on the small grey pencil icon next to the data source name in the 'Data' pane of any chart:

Capture.PNG

From the data source screen you can click on the blue + button to add a new field to your data - give it a name of your choosing, then in the 'Formula' box pop in your regex:

REGEXP_REPLACE(Page, 'http://www.mysite.com/products/', ' ')

You'll need to edit the URL of course, and in this example 'Page' is the field name for the URL, if yours is different you'll need to update this too.

Once your 'done' click back to your report and your new field will be available along with all the others for use in charts and data grids.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Renaming Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ben, 

thank you, the command is working but somehow there is no data available, we will implement another dataset and try different things then.

Manuel