AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Regex formulas for new dimensions not working ... why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm using a Google Analytics data connection & want to make a new dimension that is the Landing page minus any query parameters.

But it's not working. Here's my formula:

REGEXP_REPLACE(Landing Page,'\?.*','')

This works totally fine when I use the companion formula in google sheets ... REGEXREPLACE(C16,"\?.*","") ... but it doesn't work here. Why?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe try REGEXP_REPLACE(Landingpage, ".*\?.*","")

The REGEX in Data Studio seems a bit more picky than Sheets for some reason. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ad A,

Unfortunately that regex won't work for my purposes because the first .* will throw off the results

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I just realized that the code I gave you would replace every URL with a query parameter with nothing.

You may need to use a LEFT formula or a REGEXP_EXTRACT formula to save the URL path instead of replacing the query path. 

I don't know the formulas off the top of my head, but you can do a search for extracting different URL components with REGEX formulas and maybe give some of those a shot. 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Ignore my last reply, try this instead REGEXP_REPLACE(Landing Page, '[\?.*]',"")

I tested that one and it worked for me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ad A,

I appreciate your dedication, but that formula just replaces the ?. It doesn't remove the entire query string.

What I am trying to do is for example take Landing Page value /home/?queryname=queryvalue & output just /home/

With your formula, /home/?queryname=queryvalue becomes /home/queryname=queryvalue

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

That's odd, did you do '[?.*]' or just '?.' because the '[?.*]' worked for me. I actually needed to clean up some URLs for a report I'm working on so I needed to figure this out too.

I will send over a screenshot later just in case I missed something here.