Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

RegExp filter works for bar but not line chart

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I have two charts with the same filters. When I put the filter on the bar chart, the data comes out right (I'm filtering by RegExp for specific pages on the website using pageviews as the metric). When I put the filter in the line chart, the line stays strong in 2015 and then peters off to nothing in 2016.

I've tried re-creating the line chart, I've tried copying the bar chart and then changing it to a line chart. Every time I have the filter on the line chart, the lines drop. My line chart has the dimensions of month across the X-axis, pageviews on the Y-axis, and then a dimension breakdown by year. Data is pulling from Google Analytics.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

The problem seems to be coming in with the month and year. I can have a line chart with the X-axis set to date or month of year, but when I set it to month with a breakdown of year (to have separate lines), that's when the data goes strange. 

The way I've created month is to create a calculated dimension = month(date) and year is year(date). It seems to work in all the rest of my line charts except it's interacting strangely with the filters in this one.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, update. I changed my derived month(date) dimension to GA's month of year and now it's working. Why is that?