AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

ROUNDing a BQ dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a BQ database that contains the age of a user. I want to get only the decade of the age (34->30, 45->40) so I try doing something like that ROUND(age / 10, 0) * 10 but it keeps popping an error message although I don't understand why.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yotam O
May 2017

ROUNDing a BQ dimension

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

A dimension is effectively a label, not a number. A dimension might look like a number, but it's not calculable like a metric is. You could probably do some sort of case statement to define each age into a bucket, but that would be a really long formula. 

I'm not familiar with BQ. Is it possible to define a segment within BQ that lumps together the ages into buckets?

View solution in original post

ROUNDing a BQ dimension

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I believe age is a dimension rather than a metric (though I'm not 100% sure), so this could be the reason it won't let you. 

ROUNDing a BQ dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, it is a dimension. Why can't a dimension be rounded? I'm not aggregating or doing anything that will make the end result dependent on another source, It is just a "cosmetic" change.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yotam O
May 2017

ROUNDing a BQ dimension

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

A dimension is effectively a label, not a number. A dimension might look like a number, but it's not calculable like a metric is. You could probably do some sort of case statement to define each age into a bucket, but that would be a really long formula. 

I'm not familiar with BQ. Is it possible to define a segment within BQ that lumps together the ages into buckets?

. Re: ROUNDing a BQ dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used a semi-long case statement in the end as it turned out to not be that long.

Thanks for the help.