That's a chrome extension issue. We faced a similar one when data studio had their last release but, that was because of the Chrome Export to PDF extension. Once we removed that, the print preview started working fine. We now use the latest version of that extension and it works totally fine.
In case you have that extension, I would recommend removing it and re-installing the latest version.
I have had it happen with one report. I get a blank page. I recreated the report, it printed fine once then the next time I got a blank page again. Other reports are totally fine. I have the latest Chrome Export to PDF extension. I'm stumped.