Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Previous Period by Month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've been playing around with Data Studio and really enjoy it so far. One quirk I have run into that I need some help with is that I am reading monthly total data with a date of the first, e.g. November 2016 would be 11/1/2016 and October 2016 would be 10/1/2016 on the data set, but since November has 30 days and October has 31 days the Previous Period will go back to 10/2/2016 instead of 10/1/2016 and miss the October data to do the compare. 

I tried using the YYYYMM but it doesn't appear I can use that as the Date Range Dimension. 

Is there some functionality I am missing here or is this just working the way it is expected to?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Previous Period by Month

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Ian -- some quick follow-up questions:

• What is your data source? A Google Sheet? Google Analytics? Something else?
  • What is the date range you are comparing to? "Previous period"?

I think there's a good chance that this scenario is not yet supported but if you can clarify above that would help. If you are also able to share your report and data source with data-studio-help@google.com and ping this thread that should also help us investigate. Thanks!

Previous Period by Month

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alon,

Thanks for the reply. Answers below.

• What is your data source? A Google Sheet? Google Analytics? Something else? - Most is coming from a Google Sheet where I am doing a lot of normalization/clean up. I do bring in some Google Analytics data too, but the data impacted is the Google Sheet data because it is monthly and marked with the first of each month as the date.
  • What is the date range you are comparing to? "Previous period"? Previous Period

I shared the report with the distro, definitely appreciate your help! Please use the date ranges 09/01/2016 to 09/30/2016 (will show no change data) and 08/31/2016 to 09/30/2016 (will show change data).

Thanks,

Ian

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ian M
December 2016

Previous Period by Month

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Ian -- thanks for the followup and apologies for not writing back sooner.

Wanted to confirm that this is currently a limitation in Data Studio, unfortunately. As you noted, 

our date range feature is currently built around the concept of a YYYYMMDD date, so comparisons for other date formats are not currently possible. In 2017 we will look at extending the date range dimension to different granularities to include monthly, weekly, etc.

Previous Period by Month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Alon, appreciate the confirmation and help!

Previous Period by Month

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Previous Perod is not working in Data Studio. How can I resolve this? My older graphs still work but wont work on anything new.

Previous Period by Month

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Matthew -- apologies for the delay around the holidays. What's not working? Could you include a screenshot or share a report with data-studio-help@google.com that illustrates the problem?

Previous Period by Month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HURRY!  Quarterly is critical! 

Previous Period by Month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alon,

I am facing the same issue. I want to compare to previous month instead of previous period in my scorecards. Any solution for that?

Previous Period by Month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bumping this question.

Custom Prior Periods would be nice:

Same Day of the Week to compare Monday to Monday, for instance.