AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Perform join on data from Postgres in data studio

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have managed to hook up my postgres database to data studio and it looks marvelous. 

I would like to use two (or more) data tables in one report. 

Is there a way to perform a left join within Data Studio? 
I vaguely remember that in Sheets you can enter a sql Query as a formula in a cell. 

Any help appreciated. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

no you can't, what you can do instead is to create a view of the final results you want, and then load the view in GDS, assuming  GDS support views ( i have not tried myself)

you can check this reports, it may give some indication

https://datastudio.google.com/open/0B7HUSiXOeSnCZlRLenM3Mk9NVE0

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks very much for the reply. Yeah I thought so -- I couldn't find a way. I don't want to create views in the postgres db because it's my ERP database and I don't want to make a mess of it. Would need too many of them anyway. 

Obviously this is a major thing that needs to be implemented, and a feature of Tableau that you would expect to have. Google Data Studio has a lot of promise to eventually replace Tableau, but it's nowhere near it yet. I wish there was a simpler way to submit "suggestions" to the developers, but hopefully they are reading these forums. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

you can open a bug here, https://issuetracker.google.com/savedsearches/578413

but i doubt it will make big difference, GDS team do not share their roadmap, so you don't really know what they are planning for the product.

do you need the data to be live or are you happy to have just multiple refresh per day, and then that depends too on how much data you have,  Google sheet can connect to your ERP and then you can load the data from there

Re: Perform join on data from Postgres in data studio

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, yes, I thought of that also. Unfortunately, my crappy ERP (Odoo) presents difficultly in making that bridge, but I will probably end up doing it that way with Sheets. I don't need real-time, just to refresh when viewing the report is fine. 

Definitely they will have to make this possible, but it could be a long time. In Tableau it's easy: 

rogernew.gif