AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Organic Search Data different in Data Studio than in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am trying to set up a dashboard that shows the Organic Search performance of our website in Data Studio. I am using a Scorecard that pulls the Metric "Organic Searches". However, when I compare that number for the same date range with Google Analytics -> Acquisition -> Overview report and look at the Organic Search the numbers don't match.

Any idea why? What did I set up incorrectly?

Thanks for the help! Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Emily F
May 2017

Re: Organic Search Data different in Data Studio than in Google Analytics

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Emily,

You'll need to apply a filter to your scorecard so it only shows traffic from Organic.  If you select your scorecard, and then scroll down on the right Data Properties pane and click Add a Filter, click blue button for Create a Filter and setup a filter to include Default Channel Grouping contains organic.  Screen shot attached.  Let me know if that helps.

2017-05-23_1307.png

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

What specific dimension do you have set in Data Studio?  Is it "Medium" or "Default Channel Grouping"?  The Acquisition Overview report is using Default Channel grouping and not medium.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help! I have made that change for some of the graphs that we are using in Data Studio, however for the Scorecard I do not have the option of selecting a dimension for Organic Searches. I can only choose Data Source and Metric.

Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Emily F
May 2017

Re: Organic Search Data different in Data Studio than in Google Analytics

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Emily,

You'll need to apply a filter to your scorecard so it only shows traffic from Organic.  If you select your scorecard, and then scroll down on the right Data Properties pane and click Add a Filter, click blue button for Create a Filter and setup a filter to include Default Channel Grouping contains organic.  Screen shot attached.  Let me know if that helps.

2017-05-23_1307.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I added that filter exactly as you have it there in the screenshot and I still don't have matching data with our Analytics. Really not sure why that might be.

I think I might know what is going on. For the scorecard Metric, I am using "Organic Searches". I don't know how Data Studio calculates that metric.

But in Analytics, the Organic Search is shown by # of Sessions. When I changed the scorecard metric from Organic Searches to Sessions but with that filter you suggested the number is the same as Analytics!

How does Data Studio calculate the "Organic Searches" metric?

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

To be honest I'm not positive, when I look at the Core Reporting API it just simply says "number of organic searches" 

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets#view=detail&group=traffic_...

My assumption is that it's when Medium = Organic.  You could try changing your Scorecard filter to use "medium" instead of "Default Channel Grouping" and see if that lines up.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike,

No worries, I appreciate you looking into it. I am happy with the solution you presented, so I will go with that! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emily,

I had the same problem as you until I played around a little bit and realized. 

To pull out organic sessions through scorecard, your metric should be sessions, instead of organic searches.

You can then apply filter to only contain 'Organic' in default group channels. Hope this clarifies!