4.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Order of pie slices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Currently, it seems that the pie slices are automatically ordered by size with no way to fix the order. This is problematic. In case of KPIs which take two values, such as "On target" and "Off target", the coloring of the slices won't be consistent at different points in time. If <50% are on target one month and >50% the next, the colors will switch. This practically makes Data Studio unusable for my purposes (monthly reports on performance), as I would have to rearrange the coloring manually at the start of each month beforing sending the reports out.

It goes without saying that every week I'm also looking at the release notes hoping for the promised export to PDF function. Smiley Happy

Apart from this I'm really excited for the product. I hope that somebody from the team sees my post though.

Order of pie slices

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Ragnar Bjartur G

Well, actually it's not possible to allow a specific color on a pie slice. Fonction is not supported in Data Studio.

Pie slices are ordered by size and the color is allowed in first with the hightest value in your pie.

If you have 2 KPI in your pie, and colors "Red" & "Black", the KPI #1(hightest) will be in "Red" and the KPI #2 (lowest) will be in "Black"

Of course, it can be the opposite the next or previous week, so color will change. 

Order of pie slices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.

My suggestion would be to have the order by default, as it appears in the data source (in my case Google Sheets), with ordering by size as an additional option.

I sure hope someone's listening, because with this feature missing, Data Studio is more like a pretty toy than a serious contender. Smiley Sad

I still have faith though! I anxiously await each weeks release notes.

Order of pie slices

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

i agree. 

It will be awesome to have the fonction "order by" in the filter of the chart.

So you would set : Order by "KPI's name"

Order of pie slices

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I have considerable issues with the colors in pie charts, stacked bar charts, and line charts as well. I consistently have to go in and manually re-code them. Just like we can order a table but whichever dimension or metric we want, we should be able to order the other charts as well.

Order of pie slices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

True. Especially, when you are making reports for multiple divisions within a company or have several similiar KPIs, you need consistency in color, which depends on being able to control the ordering. On the bright side, this is not technically difficult to implement, so the most probable reason for this feature to be missing, is that is that other stuff has simply had priority. But I sure hope someone from the team reads this and picks up on this. This is a key thing to make a killer reporting platform and liberate us from Microsoft and Tableau. Smiley Happy

Order of pie slices

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree that this is necessary, and not just on two-value pie charts. I have a pie chart with five different values that all need to have a recognizable color associated with them, and they would preferably be displayed in a specific order as well.

Order of pie slices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You may want to vote on the issue here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/62368294

As I understand it, you just need to "star" it.