Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Optimizing Google Data Studio for Speed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I'm running google data studio with a google sheets connection. I currently have 15 columns by 70131 rows, and only expect my dataset to grow with time. Right now when we filter it takes 20+ seconds to re-load the data, and while the report will be run regularly, I don't know that it will be run within the 12 hours before the cache clears.

I'm curious if there are any best practices around setting up Google Data Studio reports to optimize speed? Does anyone know if it would lead to faster load times if I create my calculated fields in google sheets or to create them in Google Data Studio?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

I don't really know how to answer you, but if I was in your seat, I'd be worry about the 2M cells limit in Google Spreadsheet... 

Otherwise, I would say that having a the lowest number of filters and charts would certainly help your case. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Elizabeth J

I think it will be much better to create your calculated fields in your spreadsheet if you have the possibility to do them. More your data source will be good organized, more the different query will run faster in data studio, same as the charts that you want to display. Transformation in SVG charts will be faster too.

You will target directly the right fields for building your charts.

You have too an option "cache control" in the report settings Data studio to enable/disable cache.
Better to keep it enable in your case.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, yes, that is why I have been hesitant to move my calculations to google sheets, even though it seems to be a more powerful and comprehensive solution than creating the calculated fields in Google Data Studio itself. I unfortunately don't believe I can reduce my current filters without losing the functionality that we need.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Patrick thank you for the response. I fear that you are correct about needing to do the calculated fields in Google sheets for speed. This seems to be an area where Google Data studio is lagging behind other visualization solutions, as the opposite is generally best practice, to allow the calculation to be dynamic with each particular view.