Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Numbers change depending on date range selected

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am creating a report in google studio and have created a chart with the 'month of the year' as a dimension and then 'users/pageviews/sessions' as the metrics. 

When editing the chart and selecting the default date range (in the right hand edit bar), I notice the monthly numbers change depending on the dates selected (even though both date ranges selected contain the who month).

So for September when the date range is set between August 1st and October 1st I get 122,689 users and 182,167 pageviews. However, when I change the date range to be between August 1st and October 12th I get 127,756 users and 190,323 pageviews. 

This seems like odd behaviour as September numbers should always be the same. Is this happening because of sampling? 

Thanks,

Jo

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jo,

It sounds like it's more likely this is an issue with the date filter rather than sampling - I'd make a new month field derived from your date dimension and filter your table on this, see if it makes a difference?

Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ben,

Thanks for your reply. This even happens when I look at ISO week of the year. I have 3 different month metrics and all have the same problem. I don't see why it should change when the date range specified covers the month I am looking at. 

Thanks,

Jo

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried disconnecting your chart from the main date picker on your report and grouping it with a separate filter that only changes this chart? Appreciate this is far from dynamic, but may stop you getting these errors?

Ben