5.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Not showing Previous Period - GSD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I'm trying to use data in a very simple Google Sheets document to pull in data for social media followers. 

Example:

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 7.06.53 PM.png

I'm trying to just pull in the data and get a percent change but it's coming through as "no data":

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 7.08.11 PM.png

I've tried changing the date to the previous month (right now I have kind of spotty data from January and June). I tried changing it to last year to see if I could get the year-over-year to work. I changed the formatting to follow YYYYMMDD. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone give me a hint??

Thanks in advance!

Becky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Becky V
June

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When you go in to edit your dataset, is your date range set to YYYYMMDD (as well as setting the format in GS)? Sometimes it doesn't automatically set it correctly. What's your date range filter on the data? For instance, you might want an external filter that shows the data as above just for May, then if you have May of last year in your data, it should pull. If you don't have a date filter on the above, it's adding together all the data, and there therefore isn't a prior year or month to compare it to. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Becky V
June

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When you go in to edit your dataset, is your date range set to YYYYMMDD (as well as setting the format in GS)? Sometimes it doesn't automatically set it correctly. What's your date range filter on the data? For instance, you might want an external filter that shows the data as above just for May, then if you have May of last year in your data, it should pull. If you don't have a date filter on the above, it's adding together all the data, and there therefore isn't a prior year or month to compare it to. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried changing the formatting in Google Sheets to YYYYMMDD and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. However, the date range was the solution! Seemed a little counter-intuitive to me, but that's good, helps me learn about how the tool works. Thanks much!