Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

New channel definition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I look after more than 100 GA accounts for different countries, and we have created customized new channel definitions in addition to default channel definition being there. Is there a way I can get those new definitions in data studio? As I can only see the option of Default Channel grouping, under grouping section.

Any inputs on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Lokesh 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lokesh S
November 2016

New channel definition

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar situation and found that you can create your own Channel definitions by creating a custom dimension that uses multiple rules. For example:

CASE

WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Campaign, '(?i).*facebook.*|.*twitter.*|.*instagram.*') THEN 'Paid Social'

WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Source, '.*facebook.*|.*twitter.*|.*instagram.*|.*pinterest.*') THEN 'Organic Social' 

...insert other rules...

ELSE 'Other' 

END

Data Studio applies the rules in the order they are written, so you can use this to your advantage and avoid overly complex rules by being smart about how you structure your rule sets. In the example above, for instance, I can avoid using AND/OR statements by assigning the Paid Social rule first, and the rule for organic social sources is simple as long as it comes before the rule for referral traffic. 

I would also avoid using dimensions in rules like Default Channel Grouping, Device or anything that may not be compatible with the metrics in your reports such as Impressions, Clicks, Cost, etc. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lokesh S
November 2016

New channel definition

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar situation and found that you can create your own Channel definitions by creating a custom dimension that uses multiple rules. For example:

CASE

WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Campaign, '(?i).*facebook.*|.*twitter.*|.*instagram.*') THEN 'Paid Social'

WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Source, '.*facebook.*|.*twitter.*|.*instagram.*|.*pinterest.*') THEN 'Organic Social' 

...insert other rules...

ELSE 'Other' 

END

Data Studio applies the rules in the order they are written, so you can use this to your advantage and avoid overly complex rules by being smart about how you structure your rule sets. In the example above, for instance, I can avoid using AND/OR statements by assigning the Paid Social rule first, and the rule for organic social sources is simple as long as it comes before the rule for referral traffic. 

I would also avoid using dimensions in rules like Default Channel Grouping, Device or anything that may not be compatible with the metrics in your reports such as Impressions, Clicks, Cost, etc. 

New channel definition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for the solution, It is indeed one of solutions I had in mind. But only problem I had with this is, retrospective data. As custom dimensions are applicable for current to future data. Let me know if I am missing any part or if there is a way to get past data also under this definition.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,

New channel definition

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are creating custom Channels in Data Studio, they will work with both historical and new data. If you create rules for custom channels in Analytics, however, they will only work on new data. The process for creating new rules in Analytics is also very different from the steps I posted here. 

I've found that it is much better to use Data Studio and keep default channel groupings in Analytics as-is. If I could go back in time, I would have never updated any channels in Analytics because I've found that having cleaner, more consistent raw data saves a lot of time and headaches in the long run. 

New channel definition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our Channel name You Tube