AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Need to pre-select filter values

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm trying to put a report-level filter on my canvas. I can set up the filter no problem but the only thing I can't seem to do is load it with a default value. With a date filter, you can tell it what date range you want it to default to. For the data filter, I want to tell it how to automatically filter within the report (rather than adding individual filters to each visualization).

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

As a note, I tried filtering my filter, but the value that's then selected doesn't seem to affect the rest of my visualizations.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Any updates on this - I'm interested in this functionality as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I also need this...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone have an update on this? Needing the same function also. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Litmon , @Lucas D, @George Slokoski, @Mykee N

File > Report Settings > Add your data source > Creating or adding the filter you want. This should filter your report based off of that data source and filter on that data source.

You could also do this at the page level. Page > Current Page Settings. I haven't done a report level filter, yet, but if you need, you can disinherit a Page level filter for a single element.

Re: Need to pre-select filter values

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, I can add a filter fairly easily, but I don't see a wait to tell it what default value to filter by (it filters by all, then you have to proactively select the filter value).

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I guess I'm not fully understanding your issue and a little confused, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you saying that you're unable to see what dimension field to filter on? What specifically are you trying to do?

Re: Need to pre-select filter values

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok, so for instance, I have 10 sections of my website. I only want to include four of them in my reports. So I add a filter to the report to filter by section and I filter that filter so that only the 4 I want show up. However, say most of my users want to just look at section 1. I want to set section 1 as the default value of the filter, so it's already selected when they open the report. But if they want to look at sections 2-4, they can also add those in the filter.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You could create Content Group in Google Analytics, create a segment in GA, then use the segment feature in GDS.

Or if you want to create it all within GDS create a new custom field using a CASE statement that has REGEX in it. Then create a filter to only include those rollup group titles you named in your CASE statement field or exclude the ELSE portion of your CASE (i.e. "other" so exclude "other").