AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Need Help Creating a Filtering Calculated Metric

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like to create a calculated metric that returns the sum of all events of a certain type of event. We have multiple kind of events, for example 'Homepage - Most Played', 'Homepage - New' or 'Homepage - Recommended'. From what I've read the way to create a metric that returns the total events of 'Homepage - Most Played', is with the following forumla:

SUM (CASE WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Event Action, 'Homepage - Most Played') THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)

However this formula returns 1 rather than the sum of all events labeled as 'Homepage - Most Played', which would be closer to multiple thousands. For its visualization options, I would preferably be able to do this in Data Studio.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gijs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there - I have also been stuck on this for a while. I wonder if it's just do-able in the tool at this point. Have you had any luck figuring it out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

Haven't been able to do so thus far. I decided to just do it in google sheets instead.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gisj,

Did you give up on Data Studio altogether? Or did you do the calculation on Google Sheets and then connected that as a data source?

Thanks,

Marianella

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Marianella,

I gave up on visualizing our data in Data Studio and decided to just make the graphs in Google Sheets also, although I'd still prefer to do it in Data Studio.