Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Need Help Creating a Filtering Calculated Metric

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like to create a calculated metric that returns the sum of all events of a certain type of event. We have multiple kind of events, for example 'Homepage - Most Played', 'Homepage - New' or 'Homepage - Recommended'. From what I've read the way to create a metric that returns the total events of 'Homepage - Most Played', is with the following forumla:

SUM (CASE WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Event Action, 'Homepage - Most Played') THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)

However this formula returns 1 rather than the sum of all events labeled as 'Homepage - Most Played', which would be closer to multiple thousands. For its visualization options, I would preferably be able to do this in Data Studio.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gijs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there - I have also been stuck on this for a while. I wonder if it's just do-able in the tool at this point. Have you had any luck figuring it out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

Haven't been able to do so thus far. I decided to just do it in google sheets instead.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gisj,

Did you give up on Data Studio altogether? Or did you do the calculation on Google Sheets and then connected that as a data source?

Thanks,

Marianella

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Marianella,

I gave up on visualizing our data in Data Studio and decided to just make the graphs in Google Sheets also, although I'd still prefer to do it in Data Studio.