2.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple User Editing Data Source

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am the owner of the data source and Data Studio Report.  I gave access to other colleagues to edit both the report and the data source.  For some reason,  they are unable to edit or change formulas on the report itself.  How can I add them to have full owner rights as well?  So they can edit metrics, formulas etc. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author William S
May 2017

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hi Ben,

Those are great questions and I'll try to do a better job at explaining all this in the Help Center!
  1. The default for both reports and data sources is private, not shared.
  2. No matter how you share a report, it has no effect whatsoever on the data source. It's still private until you share it explicitly.
  3. To share a data source, you can go to the DATA SOURCE home tab, click the "more" icon (3 vertical dots) and click SHARE. Or edit the data source directly (again, via the DATA SOURCE tab. You can't do it through the "shade" that comes up from within a report). There's a share button on the data source config page.
  4. Note that "access to the data source" and "access to the data" are two different things. We've been talking about access to the data source (aka "sharing"). Access to the data (meaning, ability to see the data in reports) is controlled through the Owner's or Viewer's Credentials. The default is "Owner's Credentials"
Hope this helps!

Rick

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Try reconnecting the data sources again. and then 'refreshing fields'

Its still in Beta so very buggy

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @William S

Currently only the report creator can edit the data source, even if edit permissions are granted to others users, this refers to the report only, not the data level.

EDIT: Sorry folks, I got this wrong! Read below for the correct answer.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi guys,

Sorry, but the above statement is not true. What is true is that sharing of a report and sharing of a data source are two separate things. But if you share a data source with someone and grant them edit access, they can add and remove fields, change aggregations, etc. They cannot edit the data source connection, however.

Also note that if the data source credentials are set to Viewer's Credentials, even though the editor can edit the data source, they won't be able to create working charts from that data source.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Rick E,

Thank you for clarifying - I totally missed the ability to share data sources. What is the default setting, if you haven't shared the data source but you share a report? If you share a report with 'edit' permissions, are you granting any kind of access to the data source, or do you have to do this completely independently?

Whats the best way to share a data source, can it be done at the point of sharing a report, or only via the 'Data sources' tab?

Thanks for your help on this,

Ben

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author William S
May 2017

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hi Ben,

Those are great questions and I'll try to do a better job at explaining all this in the Help Center!
  1. The default for both reports and data sources is private, not shared.
  2. No matter how you share a report, it has no effect whatsoever on the data source. It's still private until you share it explicitly.
  3. To share a data source, you can go to the DATA SOURCE home tab, click the "more" icon (3 vertical dots) and click SHARE. Or edit the data source directly (again, via the DATA SOURCE tab. You can't do it through the "shade" that comes up from within a report). There's a share button on the data source config page.
  4. Note that "access to the data source" and "access to the data" are two different things. We've been talking about access to the data source (aka "sharing"). Access to the data (meaning, ability to see the data in reports) is controlled through the Owner's or Viewer's Credentials. The default is "Owner's Credentials"
Hope this helps!

Rick

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

That's really helpful - thank you!

Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rick,

Thank you for the help!  It worked!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Where is the Data Source home tab?  I only see the "shade" that comes up when I click Manage Added Data Sources.  Note that I am using Data Studio (Beta), not Data Studio 360.

Also, there is broken link in the help as this gets a 404: https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/6291087?hl=en

Re: Multiple User Editing Data Source

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Scott

The DATA SOURCES Home tab displays in the main Data Studio screen when you click DATA SOURCES on the left.

2017-07-24_11-45-41.png

(There is no difference between Data Studio and Data Studio 360. It's all one product - just Data Studio (Beta).

Thanks for reporting that broken link! I've put in a redirect so It should now go to the updated article.

Hope this helps!

Rick