2.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Data Sources in Same Chart

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Does Data Studio allow you to 'join' data from multiple Data Sources within the same chart?

I get the 'multiple data sources in a report', but I really want to take data from Google Analytics and use a common key to join it with data from, for example, a Google Sheet.

I've tried a few things that I thought might work, but I just end up with Invalid Dimension/Metrics or broken Functions. I don't want to waste time if it's not currently a feature.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rodney H
June 2016

Re: Multiple Data Sources in Same Chart

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
No, you can't do a join currently.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rodney H
June 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
No, you can't do a join currently.

N/A
# 3
N/A
Is join functionality planned in the future?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Rodney,

If you set both data sets to used "Date" field, then you can indirectly join on this field using the UI date picker.

Note: This method does NOT allow you to use a calculated metric which uses a field in the 2 different data sets.

Or, just join the date in GoogleSheets using Vookup and import the blended table.

Thanks

Phil.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have this same problem.  If an organization uses google sheets to hold data, we all know there is a 2,000,000 limit to the number of cells a sheet can have, which makes archiving necessary.  Well if I have to archive a sheet but I want the chart to track current against historical, I will have to link it to a new sheet and I will lose the historical info. It seems at least if the headings of the columns match in two sheets as data sources, we should be able to link them and use them in the same chart.  I hope this is something that can be implemented soon, as our data is about to pass that 2,000,000 limit, and then the charts will be useless.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phil,

can you explain the indirect join with date field? Do you mean its possible to filter with date picker the same data? Or is it possible to visualize two lines of different data source in one line-chart?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you save your data in Bigquery, it is possible to join multiple data sets in Data Studio by adding a data source from Bigquery > Custom Query. However, this method currently will not work if your Bigquery tables were created from Google Sheets as a federated table type.  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Even this may not solve all problems. Especially while dealing with metrics such as Google Analytics- Users, that Google de-duplicates at query level. Aggregating user data from Google Sheets will overreport the values. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any update on this? Still not possible to link some metrics from one specific data source with a dimension coming from another data source?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Agreed! I would love to see an enhancement to allow multiple data sources in the same chart in the future. Example use case is showing actual performance vs plan on the same chart. Actual performance data lives in GA and plan data lives in a Google Sheet.