4.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

More than one data source in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I am trying to pull together a report that has GA and Google sheets data. Is this possible? It seems like my metrics need to be from one or the other. The Google sheet is collecting data from an external source, mailchimp. Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Suzzy

Yes, a single Data Studio report can have as many data sources as you need. However, a given chart can only reference a single data source, at least for now. We're working to let you join data from different data sets (e.g. Google Analytics and Sheets) into a single data source.

Best

Rick

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Suzzy

Yes, a single Data Studio report can have as many data sources as you need. However, a given chart can only reference a single data source, at least for now. We're working to let you join data from different data sets (e.g. Google Analytics and Sheets) into a single data source.

Best

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Rick! Do you know where I can find those instructions online? I looked around and couldn't find them.

Thx

s

Re: More than one data source in Data Studio

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You can do this -- in some fashion -- but for now, you need to do the consolidation within your Google Sheets, before the data actually gets pulled into Datastudio.

Generally, it involves having the different raw datasets live on separate tabs in a Sheet, and then using various combinations of IMPORTRANGE, QUERY, ARRAYFORMULA, VLOOKUP, etc. to end up with a single, big, flat table that has all the data you want to use in Datastudio.

There are two basic approaches that I've used pretty consistently (although things can get a lot more complicated, beyond these):

• Appending Datasets: When I need to create a combined PPC report across AdWords and Bing, then I pull the AdWords data into one tab, and the exact same set of columns for the Bing data into another tab. (No column headers on either tab.) Then, on a third tab, I basically use "=ARRAYFORMULA({'AdWords Data'!A:H;'Bing Data'!A:H})" to append the two tables into a single dataset. (On that third sheet, you can actually put column headers across row A, and then the ARRAYFORMULA in cell B1. That will give you a nicely-titled set of fields when you connect to the data in Datastudio.)
  • Joining Datasets: If you need to something more akin to a 'join', then you're probably going to need to use something along the lines of VLOOKUP or MATCH/INDEX. Generally, you'll still pull the raw data into two sheets, but then on one table ("Table A"), you're going to start adding more columns that lookup information from Table B. Another example from PPC would be where Table A is a basic AdWords report, and Table B is a list of campaigns, where each row in that table has the Campaign ID, Campaign Name, and then maybe some arbitrary dimensions like "Source Budget", or other information that doesn't live in AdWords. As long as Table A includes a Campaign ID or Campaign Name on each row, then you would add a column to the right of Table A that does a lookup on each row, and populates the correct "Source Budget" value for that row's Campaign. If you pull in that extra column when you connect to that data in Datastudio, you'll have a single, flat table that allows you to slice the AdWords data by a "Source Budget" dimension.

Hope that helps. 

UPDATE: I put together a much more comprehensive explanation of how to use some of those approaches in an answer to another question.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also interested in this topic. I have for instance GA account for my Android App, IOS App and Web. I want to SUM the total number of sessions.

I also have those 3 accounts in all the countries we are operating it and would like to merge all those data in one nice custom report. Any ETA on this ability?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Any updates to this Rick? It would be extremely helpful to have this functionality!

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Rick,

is there any updates on multiple data source usage while creating charts?

Thanks

Aivaras

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

this will be an amazing feature hope it get included soon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Suzy,

I just wrote a post on how to integrate Mailchimp data and Google Analytics MCF data (to map email marketing engagement to generated revenue) in Google Data Studio: https://blog.ch.atosconsulting.com/break-data-silos-google-data-studio-supermetrics/

As pointed out by all the others, it still requires Google Spreadsheet and some VLOOKUP wizard to aggregate datasources, but I am also impatiently waiting for Data Studio to release a feature to build a data model behind the visuals...

Cheers

Andrea

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there again!
Is there a way to integrate ??? Just wondering if there is a way to show Analytics + Adwords numbers!
Hope you´re right!