AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Metrics defined by a time period

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a way to create a metric defined by a time period, e.g. "all clicks in 2016", "all clicks in 2017".

Thanks,
Sam 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What kind of chart are you pulling it into? If you're using a scorecard, then pull in clicks as your metric and filter the data by the year. If you're using a bar chart, then use the year as your breakdown dimension. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey,

Yeah this is what I currently do on graphs! The purpose of this was to generate a custom metric so I could calculate a metric based upon the two separate ones. e.g. Proportional change in revenue each year from a source, so I could determine if organic traffic was driving more revenue this year compared to last year.

The way t's possible is just to import the data into Sheets and then calculate the metric that way instead of doing it in Data Studio.

Thanks,

Sam

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You could also filter your scorecard by organic search and it would give you the variance over last year.