AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Metric Selector In View Mode - Drop Downs

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

Currently I don't think it's possible to select your metric in view mode on a chart. For example: A graph can have impressions, views and clicks as three columns per say age breakdown. It can be quite full and messy - if there was a metric selector drop down, you could show just impressions, or just views & clicks at once. 

Moreover, it would be extremely useful in testing the relationships of certain metrics - if you had a scatter with impressions on x, then you could select y to be conversions, clicks etc, and the line would fit automatically to the metric you choose? (it would also be great if it displayed r^2 and the eq. of the line). 

Much appreciated - really enjoying getting used to the platform. 

Re: Metric Selector In View Mode - Drop Downs

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Byrne H

Actually, i tried today for you, you can do a selector. (after the icon calendar in the topbar)

It can be expandable, but the text is not customizable.

When you select/unselect, your charts display or not the value matched. 

If it can help you Smiley Happyselector.PNG

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'd like to know how to do this as well. I've been using the dimension filter selector that Patrick mentioned, but if it could also select which metric to display, that would be great.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Litmon

Do you have an exemple in mind ? Smiley Happy 

if u have a screenshot about what u want to do .. )

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I don't have a screenshot since it's not possible right now Smiley Happy

But, similar to what Byrne mentioned in the original post, include the dimensions I want in the table, and then instead of listing out the three or four metrics that I want (say, impressions, clicks, engagement, reach), provide a selector so that the user can select whether they want to see impressions or clicks or engagement or reach. This would make things so much less cluttered. Right now, I basically just build four different charts (usually bar or line or pie) for each of the metrics, and that adds a LOT of charts that are set up the same except for the different metrics.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Litmon

I have maybe an idea. 

It would be to transform metrics in dimension. 

Example : field "impressions" is your metric

When you edit your data source, create a field "DImpressions" with the formula : CAST(impressions AS TEXT)

In your data studio sheet, create a new selector with the dimension. 

Maybe it could be working. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Litmon, i did a test.

In your data source, on the field who is your metric, set aggregation "None"

Then, create a new field "SumMyMetric" with the formula : SUM(MyMetric)

All done. 

You can add now your selector in your sheet. 

Litmon Selector Metric.PNG

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Patrick, thank you for taking the time to reply. 

I use dimension filters and they're very handy. That example allows you to filter which "level". I want all the levels but to be able to filter between the dimensions associated with that level. For example - number of people in that level, or average pay at the level, etc. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi again Patrick,

This example seems to give you the option to filter the values within a metric? 

I attached a screenshot to further illustrate what I mean: 

Here is a graph with the dimension placement. There are four metrics associated with it, all rates as seen on the right metric selector. 

The key at the bottom of the graph has the corresponding metrics which I'd like to be able to turn off and on. A drop down bar would be fantastic, or simply a tick box next to the metric name. 

Further more, for bar charts or any charts that can display several metrics, the option of any combination would be perfect. But for fitted scatter plots, having a drop down of the metrics and choosing one to be automatically fitted would be incredible. 

Once again, thanks for taking your time to reply.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2nHtXkqn-JRc05uSnVBWDlXZTg/view?usp=sharing

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@byrne H

Do you mean that you want many selectors ? Could you share a screenshot of your chart?
You can have differents selectors.

In this example below, you have selectors on different dimensions that you can customized as only 1. 

multi filters.PNG

I saw your screenshot just right now. 
Try the answer that i did at Litmon, about to transform a metric field to a dimension field. Then you can add this new field in your selector.

As you can see in the answer #7, the field "Nb Events" is a metric and i did a new field "SumEvent" who is right now a dimension field that i can add in a selector.

In your selector filter, tab "Data", you can set number of value that you want to show. Min is "1" (then your filter will show the hightest value + "All the others") more easy to select.