Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Merge 2 data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Let's imagine I have a Google Analytics account in which I have 2 Accounts (A and B). Property 1 is in A and Property 2 is in B. Is it possible for me to make a Data Studio report and show the total Sessions of A+B combined?

In short, is it possible to merge 2 data sources in a Data Studio report? Maybe with calculated fields?

Thank you for the help and your suggestions,

Allan

Merge 2 data sources

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Allan V

You can't run calculations across 2 data sources yet - however, that's an excellent suggestion for a future addition!

In the meantime, you'd have to merge your data outside of GA and import it, or use a rollup property if you are a Google 360 customer.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Merge 2 data sources

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ben P,

Thank you for your answer!

That's what I was expecting unfortunately... But yes, I think that would be a great addition for the future.

Regarding merging data outside of GA, is there a simple way to do that and keep the data "updated" automatically?

Also, about the rollup property, can I create one between 2 properties of different accounts?

Thanks,

Allan

Merge 2 data sources

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Allan,

When I need to connect to data outside of GA I use Google Sheets and the Google Analytics report builder plugin:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/google-analytics-spreadsheet-add-on

You can schedule data refreshes using this tool to update it automatically, I would imagine having one tab for each GA account, then a third where you bring it all together, this would be the one you'd then connect to DataStudio.

I believe a roll up property has to be in the same account - however Google do this for you, so they may be able to merge them across two accounts, it's worth asking.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Merge 2 data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much @Ben P!

I will dig deeper into those 2 (hopefully temporary) solutions.

Best,

Allan

Merge 2 data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I believe this should be a future addition as well, I have been trying to work with multiple data sources, and it seems there is a metric field for data sources, but when I tried to create a formula with them nothing happened. 

Merge 2 data sources

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I would like to be able to do this too, as I frequently have clients asking me to add data together. Doing it all in Google Sheets is cumbersome, even with the add-on and formulas.

Merge 2 data sources

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆