AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Merge 2 data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Let's imagine I have a Google Analytics account in which I have 2 Accounts (A and B). Property 1 is in A and Property 2 is in B. Is it possible for me to make a Data Studio report and show the total Sessions of A+B combined?

In short, is it possible to merge 2 data sources in a Data Studio report? Maybe with calculated fields?

Thank you for the help and your suggestions,

Allan

Merge 2 data sources

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Allan V

You can't run calculations across 2 data sources yet - however, that's an excellent suggestion for a future addition!

In the meantime, you'd have to merge your data outside of GA and import it, or use a rollup property if you are a Google 360 customer.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Merge 2 data sources

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ben P,

Thank you for your answer!

That's what I was expecting unfortunately... But yes, I think that would be a great addition for the future.

Regarding merging data outside of GA, is there a simple way to do that and keep the data "updated" automatically?

Also, about the rollup property, can I create one between 2 properties of different accounts?

Thanks,

Allan

Merge 2 data sources

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Allan,

When I need to connect to data outside of GA I use Google Sheets and the Google Analytics report builder plugin:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/google-analytics-spreadsheet-add-on

You can schedule data refreshes using this tool to update it automatically, I would imagine having one tab for each GA account, then a third where you bring it all together, this would be the one you'd then connect to DataStudio.

I believe a roll up property has to be in the same account - however Google do this for you, so they may be able to merge them across two accounts, it's worth asking.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Merge 2 data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much @Ben P!

I will dig deeper into those 2 (hopefully temporary) solutions.

Best,

Allan

Merge 2 data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I believe this should be a future addition as well, I have been trying to work with multiple data sources, and it seems there is a metric field for data sources, but when I tried to create a formula with them nothing happened. 

Merge 2 data sources

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I would like to be able to do this too, as I frequently have clients asking me to add data together. Doing it all in Google Sheets is cumbersome, even with the add-on and formulas.

Merge 2 data sources

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆