AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Mapping link clicks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm looking for an automated way to map link clicks from any given page onto the web page they've clicked on. 

For instance, if they're on my company's home page, I want to see that they clicked 25% on link A, 5% on link B, etc. My problems are twofold:

1. From what I understand of Google Analytics, I'm not supposed to use the "next page path" dimension as it's not always accurate. What I've been doing instead (and what I understand is more accurate) is to click through to the page in GA, then click the navigation button and look at the list of next page paths. How do I pull this through to Data Studio so I don't have to do this individually for every page?

2. Is there any way to map this onto an image of the actual page, like a heatmap. I've tried looking at the heatmaps that GA provides. When they work (which they don't usually seem to), the data doesn't look right at all, so I don't trust them. Is there any way, once I've pulled through the list of next page paths, to map them onto an actual image of the page? Or is there another tool online that I can use to do this less manually?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Litmon
February 2017

Mapping link clicks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

1. I Use the navigation button and list of next page paths in GA. I then check these figures against the next page path dimension in DS and they normally match for me

2. Do you mean the in page reports GA provides? (coupled with the Page Analytics Chrome Extension). You can use Enhanced Link Attribution to get a more accurate view. For instance, on a key landing page I have 7 links to a sign up page. Without ELA it says 9.8% of users clicked on each of those links to get to the sign up page. With ELA it will say that 20% clicked on the link in the nav bar, 15% on the link in the main header etc.

You could take a screenshot of a page and import it into a DS report. You could then place scorecards next to the links on the page which have relevant page/next page path filters representing the number of click throughs for each link.

Hope that makes sense.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Litmon
February 2017

Mapping link clicks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

1. I Use the navigation button and list of next page paths in GA. I then check these figures against the next page path dimension in DS and they normally match for me

2. Do you mean the in page reports GA provides? (coupled with the Page Analytics Chrome Extension). You can use Enhanced Link Attribution to get a more accurate view. For instance, on a key landing page I have 7 links to a sign up page. Without ELA it says 9.8% of users clicked on each of those links to get to the sign up page. With ELA it will say that 20% clicked on the link in the nav bar, 15% on the link in the main header etc.

You could take a screenshot of a page and import it into a DS report. You could then place scorecards next to the links on the page which have relevant page/next page path filters representing the number of click throughs for each link.

Hope that makes sense.

Mapping link clicks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Using the screenshot with scorecards is brilliant, thank you!

Mapping link clicks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, which dimension is it you're using for next page path? Because I see a "next page path" dimension in GA that's been deprecated, and it's not pulling correct data at all. There's supposed to be a pagePath dimension to use now, but that's not showing up in my reports. 

Mapping link clicks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In my report (you may be trying to do something different of course) I have a scorecard set up with a few filters. Say for example there's a link to the product page from the home page. The scorecard will have a page filter of '.../product' and I'll have a previous page path filter of '.../home'. When I check the navigation tab in GA pages report I get the same figures.

Mapping link clicks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I really like your idea of setting up the scorecard. I did that and was able to filter for all users who went to that link who had a previous page path of the home page. What I'd like, though, is to have that represented as a percent. Of all the home page clicks, this % went to that link. Any ideas?

Mapping link clicks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I see what you mean. I believe it would require a custom metric to be created in DS. Problem is the custom metric would need to refer to specific pages and I don't think you can do this yet in DS.

A long way around this would be to start in GA itself. As an example I've got goals set up for 'Order page 1' and 'Order page 2'. I've created a calculated metric to divide one by the other and return the result as a percentage. You can create the metric either in GA or DS and you can just add it to a scorecard/table/wherever.

Problems arise if you want to 'scorecard' too many links and you've run out of goals. Also, while calculated metrics are retrospective - goals are not.

Must be an easier way but I've not had time to explore other solutions.

Mapping link clicks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks so much! I think I may stick with total numbers rather than percentages, since I don't have enough goals for that. But it's a great idea!

Mapping link clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Elator Middle East   أحدث دعامة فى العالم والبديل الأمن للجراحة تركيب بدون جراحة اطلب الان واتس 00201117779555