4.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Make a copy of a Data Source

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I cannot find any way to copy a Data Source, which is very troublesome. In my case, I have a Data Studio report of a dozen pages, each with multiple graphs and tables, displaying data from 3 Data Sources. Each of these Data Sources is connected to a Google Sheet.

Now, the current Data Studio document displays data from 2016, and should be preserved. While I can make a copy of the Data Studio document, it will still refer to the same Data Sources; and if change them, to point to the new Google Sheets I have made for collecting 2017 data, the old Data Studio document will also show the new data. So I would like to make a copy of each Data Source, and connect them to the new 2017 Google Sheets, but I cannot find that there is an option for that.

The "alternative" is to create new Data Sources from scratch, make sure that all computed fields are created in exactly the same manner, and then change the Data Source for something like a hundred fields or more in my Data Studio document - a process which usually means that all my filters (200-300 perhaps) will have to be re-configured, since filters are almost always confused when a Data Source is changed even if the names of the fields are the same (probably due to the filters referring to fields by ID instead of name.

In short, making my report work with 2017 data while preserving the 2016 report, will likely take a week of brain-numbing clicking and typing to get everything to work, while painstakingly comparing each configuration in the old document to the new. 

Can you say "Punishment"? Or is there a better way to deliver?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have exactly the same need. I want to copy a data source just to modify the database name Smiley Sad

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Kjell,

While there currently is no way to copy a data source, I'm wondering if you can work around this by adding the 2017 data to the Google Sheets. You can then copy the report and use filters to restrict the new report to just this year's data? 

(BTW, we've just released improved filters, making it easier to reuse them across multiple charts and pages, so maybe this won't be as much punishment as it seem...)

Hope this helps!

Rick

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Rick.

While this may be a workaround for a Google Sheets data source, it is not a solution if we use MySQL. 

I'm making copies of a Report and only want to change the MySQL database and share it with a different user.

Hope this info is useful.

Thanks!

Jaime

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

That is what I have already been forced to do, but it is not a very good solution since Sheets is already groaning under the weight of my data. The limitation on the total number of cells may also make it impossible for the whole of 2017, to say nothing of the year after that.

There can also be a lot of other reasons to copy a Data Source, or move a Data Studio report to another Data Source. Some way to "re-link" each field in a Data Source to an equivalent field in another Data Source would make it much easier to do that. As default, if a Data Source is changed, fields with the same name should be assumed to be identical, with the possibility to change that manually per field in case the assumption does not hold for a particular field. 

Being able to do would also make it much easier to handle changes in a particular Data Source, since sometimes a field might change name for any reason (some of which the Data Studio editor might not be able to control).

Improved filter sounds nice, however. I have not noticed that yet, though - is the documentation updated?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rick. I'm trying to duplicate a data source just to keep every calculated field in a new data source with another GA property linked, instead of having to create them again one by one

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rick

+1 for this problem

I have several datasets in BigQuery, each with identical tables/schemas, but each for totally different clients.

I've made a Data Studio report for client 1, with several calculated fields and filters, that uses a custom BQ query to the matching client's BQ dataset.

I want to clone client 1's report, but I can't make a copy of the Data Source and simply rename the BQ dataset in the DataStudio BQ custom query.

As far as I can see, this means that we now have to recreate every single DS custom metric and field from scratch, and will have to do so for every subsequent client report we add (we're an agency, with a lot of clients!).

This is a serious road blocker for us. Any chance that this is being looked at?

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Paul

We announced data source copying today!

Please take a look and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks!

Best,

Rick

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Rick,

Yeah I saw it this morning. Haven't had a chance to test it out, but looks like a massive boost for us.

Thanks for responding!

PS. The new issue tracker is great too: https://issuetracker.google.com/savedsearches/578413

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Rick,

Is there any chance that you'd allow us to transfer ownership of the copied Data Sources too? Currently, we can only share with view/edit permissions.

We can do this in BigQuery, which seems to use the same sharing engine?

We have a team producing reports, who need to hand ownership of those reports over to the end-user client teams. We foresee there being a problem when one of the production team members leaves the business and has their account disabled...

Thanks

Paul