2.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Links not working

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I've created a navigation bar on the report to make it easier for my end user. Here's how I set it up:

1. Created a text box
  2. Added the link:
    1. Clicked the link button in the text box menu
    2. Copy/pasted the link from the URL address bar into the link field and assigned a link name
    3. Unchecked the box so that it doesn't open a new window

What's happening is that when I send the shared link (from the share button at the top right) to someone, there seems to be about a 50/50 chance that it works. When it does work, they're able to navigate around easily. When it doesn't, they can view that page and use the normal menu at the top left, but if they try to click on my navigation links, they're dumped out into the DS list of reports.

I tried sending the page link instead of the report share and that sometimes works, and sometimes also dumps the person into the menu. Sometimes after going to the menu, they can click on the report to open it and the navigation works (but sometimes it doesn't).

This isn't login or account specific - it works perfectly while I'm at my desk, but if I go to the conference room and log in to the same google and DS account, I run into the same problem. So it seems to be computer-specific.

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Litmon
May 2017

Re: Links not working

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Litmon,

I answered this in a separate thread I believe you were in, but I'll synopsize it here: 

The URL format changed to support non-signed in viewing. I've added this to the release notes.

If you update your table of contents with the new links, it should work for everyone. You also might consider using the left hand navigation option for page links. That's guaranteed to work.

Hope this helps!

page-nav.png

View solution in original post

Links not working

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Trying again. I'm at a loss with why this isn't working, but the navigation will REALLY help my endusers, so I don't want to just do away with it. Particularly since it works some of the time.

Links not working

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Just curious why this navigation is better than using the Page drop down in the top left, curious to see a screen shot.

Regarding the functionality issue, are you using the same OS/Browser/Version?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Litmon
May 2017

Re: Links not working

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Litmon,

I answered this in a separate thread I believe you were in, but I'll synopsize it here: 

The URL format changed to support non-signed in viewing. I've added this to the release notes.

If you update your table of contents with the new links, it should work for everyone. You also might consider using the left hand navigation option for page links. That's guaranteed to work.

Hope this helps!

page-nav.png

Links not working

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, Rick! I went through and re-set them and it is working (though quirky in the process of editing those links).

Mike, the reason this is easier is that it provides the user a quick snapshot of everything in the report, and it's fewer clicks (I can just click once to get to a new page, whereas in the menu I might have to click the menu, scroll down, then click the page). Initially, I was doing it for my users, but when it wasn't working, I realized that I find it really helpful while I'm navigating around as well.