Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Link chart colors to specific dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello - 

I have created a pie chart that shows traffic medium and I wondering if Data Studio has the ability to link a specific color to a specific dimension (i.e. blue=organic traffic / yellow=email traffic / etc.) or can you only change colors manually at this point? 

Thank you!

Re: Link chart colors to specific dimensions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Beth P,

You can select Pie chart > Style > change the colors. Also there are lots of options to customize the chart.
Google Doubt24.png

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ritwik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately, this option only lets you choose the order of the colors, but not attribute a color to a certain field. So say I make the first color in that list blue and one month organic is the largest, and the next month direct traffic is the largest - the first month organic will be blue and the next month direct will be blue. Is there a way around that? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Beth P,

Ohk. I might be unaware of this but we can assign colors only to ordering, as you said. You can use then use legend feature to know the dimensions.
Check: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/7187587?hl=en

Thanks,
Ritwik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

+1 for this. It's often useful to have several pie charts next to each other, each showing different metrics but split by the same dimensions. For an Adwords dashboard I'm showing impressions, clicks and conversions as separate pie charts, each split by device. Since the colours are always in the same order but the dimensions change order so the largest is always first, it means the same device can be a different colour across the three pie charts. You therefore need a separate legend for each, but is still quite confusing for comparing.