Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Line Chart axis starting at random month

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I am trying to create line chart in Data Studio based on Financial Year rather than the calendar year (in that case it runs from October to September). However, it seems that the line chart (time series) always starts in January, no matter the dates in data source (I'm using google sheet), or the date range selected. I need to additionally be able to compare the line to the previous Financial Year (which means comparing to 2 different calendar years!).

Is there any work around it? 

Many thanks

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This video from Google may help?

Quick tips: Working with dates in Data Studio https://youtu.be/hE02oWy-VAY

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you David!

That's perfect!

Would you also know if there is a way to add comparison (second line) with a previous period if I format the chart like in the video? It doesn't seem to give me that option.

What I basically try to get is a line chart comparing Oct16-Sep17 with Oct15-Sep16 period.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

You can select a "comparing" timeseries under Default Date Rang by selecting the two opposing arrows  (which has normally "none" as its default). Hopefully this helps

Paul

Re: Line Chart axis starting at random month

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Paul,

Yes, that is what I would normally do, however for some reasons I am not able to do it always.. In the examples below I connected 2 data sources with the same data and created time series charts using the same dimensions/metrics in the same data format (Year Month YYYYMM) etc. In Example 1, I am unable to choose the date compare but in Example 2 it gives me that option...:

Example 1.pngExample 1Example 2.pngExample 2

It is probably a system bug and I can work with the second chart.

However, there is another issue I'm facing. If I use the date in YYYYMM format, the first month in the chart is being omitted. This is something I have already raised with the Google team, and they advised me to use Date format of YYYYMMDD in the Date Range Dimension, and another date dimension in YYYYMM format in Time Dimension.  After applying that logic, I get a following result - only one of the lines starts at zero:

Example 3.pngExample 3 

This means that I can't say whether Oct15 started of at zero or maybe at some higher point in total sessions...

Example 4.png

Probably can work with that for now, but would be good to have it fixed or know another way around...

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

That is an extensive reply Smiley Wink. Let me get into it, maybe i can come up with a solution. I guess, since it still concerns the beta version, there are still some bugs left.

I see that you uploaded an xlsx file (i guess via google sheets), what was the format of your Date in this file? Just the recommendation of Google? YYYYMMDD??

Kind regards,

Paul

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Paul,

Yes, sorry, I tried to put as much details as possible to make the issue clear :-) In the spreadsheet I use 2 fields - (1) formatted as MMM-YY and (2) in YYYYMMDD format. Subsequently, I use (2) as Date Range Dimension in Data Studio - in the same Date (YYYYMMDD) format and (1) as Time Dimension in Year Month (YYYYMM) format.

Let me know if you need more details

Thanks

magdalena