1.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Issues with grouping the "Date Range" component with another element

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created an excel sheet with column A as dates, column B and so on with data.  I am trying have a date range for the table and the corresponding information.  I am a bit confused with the dimensions and how I can properly set the date range to work.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi William ,

Data components automatically use the ga:date dimension as the Date Range Dimension. You can set this manually when Data Studio cannot find a valid date dimension, or if your data source contains a different dimension you want to use. 

https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6401549?hl=en#how-data-studio-handles-dates

Hope this helps!

-Julia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get an error saying, 

You are setting DATE as a Date (YYYYMMDD), but we couldn't recognize its format.

Re: Issues with grouping the "Date Range" component with another element

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can change the way dates and times are displayed in a chart by editing the data source for that chart. Use the Type drop-down menu for your date field to select the desired Date & Time format.

For example, let's say you have a spreadsheet of daily sales figures, and you'd like to display that data on a yearly basis. In Google Sheets, the dates should be entered as YYYYMMDD (you can use the Format > Number > -Date menu options to display the data the way you like).

Create a data source Data Studio based on that worksheet. Set the Type for that date field to a Date & Time > YEAR (YYYY).

IMG_4475.PNG

-Juli