AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Issues with grouping the "Date Range" component with another element

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created an excel sheet with column A as dates, column B and so on with data.  I am trying have a date range for the table and the corresponding information.  I am a bit confused with the dimensions and how I can properly set the date range to work.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi William ,

Data components automatically use the ga:date dimension as the Date Range Dimension. You can set this manually when Data Studio cannot find a valid date dimension, or if your data source contains a different dimension you want to use. 

https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6401549?hl=en#how-data-studio-handles-dates

Hope this helps!

-Julia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get an error saying, 

You are setting DATE as a Date (YYYYMMDD), but we couldn't recognize its format.

Re: Issues with grouping the "Date Range" component with another element

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can change the way dates and times are displayed in a chart by editing the data source for that chart. Use the Type drop-down menu for your date field to select the desired Date & Time format.

For example, let's say you have a spreadsheet of daily sales figures, and you'd like to display that data on a yearly basis. In Google Sheets, the dates should be entered as YYYYMMDD (you can use the Format > Number > -Date menu options to display the data the way you like).

Create a data source Data Studio based on that worksheet. Set the Type for that date field to a Date & Time > YEAR (YYYY).

IMG_4475.PNG

-Juli