AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Issues with grouping the "Date Range" component with another element

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Summary: 

You cannot group other elements to the Date Rage component.

Actual Results: 

• When you group another element like an image with the "Date Range" component, the report will not refresh when selecting a new date range. In fact, the report becomes unusable and will not refresh at all. 
  • Removing the grouping from the Data Range component will fix this issue. 

Expected Results:

• You should be able to group another element like a calendar icon to the Date Rage component.
  • Refreshing the page or changing the date range will work as designed.

Cheers, 

Bryan 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bryan H
December 2016

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Bryan

Grouping a control, such as a filter control or date range control, with another component has the effect of limiting that control to the components in the group. So for example, if you want a particular time series to be subject to the calendar, but not, say, a table right next to it, you would group the time series and date range control.

You can read more about this wrt dates here: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6291067 

The same thing applies to filters.

Can I ask why you are grouping the date range control with an image? That is limiting the timeframe to that image, and preventing it from affecting your charts...

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bryan H
December 2016

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Bryan

Grouping a control, such as a filter control or date range control, with another component has the effect of limiting that control to the components in the group. So for example, if you want a particular time series to be subject to the calendar, but not, say, a table right next to it, you would group the time series and date range control.

You can read more about this wrt dates here: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6291067 

The same thing applies to filters.

Can I ask why you are grouping the date range control with an image? That is limiting the timeframe to that image, and preventing it from affecting your charts...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the update Rick. What you're mentioning makes complete sense. I misunderstood the definition of a "group". 

Cheers,

B