Data Studio
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Issues importing 2 Google sheet dimensions (one date, one country) and 1 metric into Data Studio...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have made several attempts to visualise data from Google Sheet into DS but have been having issues.

This is how my data set looks like in GS:

Country        January     Feb     March   etc...

France           x%              x%       x%
Belgium         x%              x%       x%

UK                 x%              x%       x%    

Etc...

The chart I want to build is a time series by month looking at the metric in % contained in my GS and I want to use the country dimension as my filter next to the chart.  

I am not able to do that. I realise my metric is listed under my date dimensions, I have got a feeling that's where the issue is but I can't  think of a different way.

I would be very surprised if GD could not handle multiple dimensions from GS considering I have produced similar charts in DS using the GA connector...

Thank you!!

Penelope

Issues importing 2 Google sheet dimensions (one date, one country) and 1 metric into Data Studio...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The issue is that the Data Studio reads each column as an individual metric/dimension.

In your use case: Jan Feb March etc. should be 1 single column titled "Month" (or whatever), another column that needs to be added for x% and then each row is an entry. e.g. 1 Row would contain France, January, X% metric.  The month column could then be used in a time series.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Mike for the quick response! (again...)

So just so I am clear is that the format you are recommending:

Country   Month      Metric

France     January     x%

France     February    x%

France     March        x%

Belgium   January      x%

Belgium   February     x%

Belgium   March         x%

Thank you

Penelope

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes this is exactly what I'm suggesting.  And then make sure when you connect this Data Source you configure your Month Dimension as a Date so it can be used in a Time Series chart.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Fab, thank you Mike!

Let me crack on with that...

Best 

Penelope

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike

So...I am really having no luck whatsoever!

I have my Google sheet formatted as:

20170101  Brazil        x%

20170201  Brazil        x%

20170301  Brazil        x%

20170101  Canada     x%

20170201  Canada     x%

20170301  Canada     x%

And I never get a time series in DS, all I get is an empty table, it does display months on the x axis (although it is displaying all months not just the ones I am feeding), it's displaying % on the y axis but it's completely empty...

It works fine with a bar chart (I am also able to use my country filter on the bar chart) but time series really is not happening. I have tried different ways of formatting the date format in GS and nothing has worked so far. 

I am really at a loss here, can you think of where things are going wrong?

Thanks!

Penelope

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Penelope,

Can you post any screen shots of the Line Chart and the Data Pane to the left so I can see the properties of the chart.

Thanks

Re: Issues importing 2 Google sheet dimensions (one date, one country) and 1 metric into Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike

Of course, thank you for your continuing support on this, it is much appreciated...

So picture 1 is a picture of my GS data

Picture 2 is a picture of the "failed" time series in DS

Picture 3 is what the fields look like

Dataset_in_GS.pptx.pngGoogle sheet data

Failed_Time_Series_in_DS.pptx.pngFailed time series in DS

Fields.JPG

Thanks a million in advance!

Penelope