AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Issues importing 2 Google sheet dimensions (one date, one country) and 1 metric into Data Studio...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have made several attempts to visualise data from Google Sheet into DS but have been having issues.

This is how my data set looks like in GS:

Country        January     Feb     March   etc...

France           x%              x%       x%
Belgium         x%              x%       x%

UK                 x%              x%       x%    

Etc...

The chart I want to build is a time series by month looking at the metric in % contained in my GS and I want to use the country dimension as my filter next to the chart.  

I am not able to do that. I realise my metric is listed under my date dimensions, I have got a feeling that's where the issue is but I can't  think of a different way.

I would be very surprised if GD could not handle multiple dimensions from GS considering I have produced similar charts in DS using the GA connector...

Thank you!!

Penelope

Issues importing 2 Google sheet dimensions (one date, one country) and 1 metric into Data Studio...

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

The issue is that the Data Studio reads each column as an individual metric/dimension.

In your use case: Jan Feb March etc. should be 1 single column titled "Month" (or whatever), another column that needs to be added for x% and then each row is an entry. e.g. 1 Row would contain France, January, X% metric.  The month column could then be used in a time series.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Mike for the quick response! (again...)

So just so I am clear is that the format you are recommending:

Country   Month      Metric

France     January     x%

France     February    x%

France     March        x%

Belgium   January      x%

Belgium   February     x%

Belgium   March         x%

Thank you

Penelope

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes this is exactly what I'm suggesting.  And then make sure when you connect this Data Source you configure your Month Dimension as a Date so it can be used in a Time Series chart.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Fab, thank you Mike!

Let me crack on with that...

Best 

Penelope

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike

So...I am really having no luck whatsoever!

I have my Google sheet formatted as:

20170101  Brazil        x%

20170201  Brazil        x%

20170301  Brazil        x%

20170101  Canada     x%

20170201  Canada     x%

20170301  Canada     x%

And I never get a time series in DS, all I get is an empty table, it does display months on the x axis (although it is displaying all months not just the ones I am feeding), it's displaying % on the y axis but it's completely empty...

It works fine with a bar chart (I am also able to use my country filter on the bar chart) but time series really is not happening. I have tried different ways of formatting the date format in GS and nothing has worked so far. 

I am really at a loss here, can you think of where things are going wrong?

Thanks!

Penelope

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Penelope,

Can you post any screen shots of the Line Chart and the Data Pane to the left so I can see the properties of the chart.

Thanks

Re: Issues importing 2 Google sheet dimensions (one date, one country) and 1 metric into Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike

Of course, thank you for your continuing support on this, it is much appreciated...

So picture 1 is a picture of my GS data

Picture 2 is a picture of the "failed" time series in DS

Picture 3 is what the fields look like

Dataset_in_GS.pptx.pngGoogle sheet data

Failed_Time_Series_in_DS.pptx.pngFailed time series in DS

Fields.JPG

Thanks a million in advance!

Penelope