Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Issue with Google Search Console query data in DataStudio

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, I'm trying to display clicks for specific queries in a table, but when I try to include just those queries using multiple OR filters, I get this error:

Error Details
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

Error ID: c5bfe4ed

Additionally, when not using a filter, I'm getting a strange blank line in the query column that shows many clicks. I checked actual GSC data and of course there is no empty string query—perhaps it's an issue with the data connector since it's still new?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean B
July

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Googles here says about the blank rows:

The Query field lists the search terms used by your property's visitors. To protect user privacy, Search Analytics doesn't show all data. For example, we might not track some queries that are made a small number of times, or those that contain personal or sensitive information. In this case, Data Studio may aggregate these untracked queries into a single row with a blank value. You can remove blank rows from your reports by using a filter:

Exclude Query Is Null

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Sean, I'm also seeing a blank query with many 1000s of impressions. Did you work out what it was?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Andrew, I haven't solved it—I checked back today to refresh the data and the blank row is still there...will post on here if I figure it out!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The best solution I found to make the blank line go away is to add another filter that simply excludes "query exactly <blank>". For some reason, excluding "query Is Null" did not work...

Still not sure why using multiple OR filters will not work with the Search Console connected data, but perhaps it's because only one filter can be used with the Search Console interface itself.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sean! Did you found out why did this happened? I´m having the same issue.

Thanks in advance!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I too have the same issue.  Any Googlers about to help with this?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean B
July

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Googles here says about the blank rows:

The Query field lists the search terms used by your property's visitors. To protect user privacy, Search Analytics doesn't show all data. For example, we might not track some queries that are made a small number of times, or those that contain personal or sensitive information. In this case, Data Studio may aggregate these untracked queries into a single row with a blank value. You can remove blank rows from your reports by using a filter:

Exclude Query Is Null

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That doesn't seem to explain what's happening. I'm having the same issue and, as Sean B pointed out, there is no empty search query string in GSC. Also, I'm seeing 4,518 total queries in GSC but 4,392 in Data Studio for the past 28 days. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, tried the Exclude Query is Null filter and it didn't work

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried the Exclude query and it did work, just did not used null, I just left it blank, and taran!

This is how I did it (Updated the image link)

Where do you create a new filter? All the way to the bottom

See image =)

Hope everything works for you =)