AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Issue with Data Studio Recognizing and Pivoting Text with Date Ranges

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

We are working to get other platforms than Google up on Data Studio using Google Sheets - for example, Bing Ads.

We use Google Sheets to house Bing Ads data. To connect the front end metrics (Impressions, Clicks and Cost) to back end metrics (Transactions and Revenue) we connect Google Analytics data within the same data sheet and do a VLOOKUP to match up the campaign data. 

We connect the Data Source to the sheet that has the Campaign Data parsed by Date and the metrics we are looking to report on.

The Problem: Google Data Studio will not read the Campaign Name in the field and only presents a generic date field.

See photos attached of: how data looks in Google Sheet, how it is mapped in Data Source and appears in the Data Studio.

Any suggestions?

Sheet.png

Data.png

Report.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Issue with Data Studio Recognizing and Pivoting Text with Date Ranges

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Daniel, 

In the Sheets data, does Report Campaign have something like "bing-search-2016/11/18" hard coded? Or are you doing a VLOOKUP to generate the contents of that field?

Re: Issue with Data Studio Recognizing and Pivoting Text with Date Ranges

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Sascha,

(Never mind the VLOOKUP question, I don't think that's the issue).

I was able to reproduce the issue of only the date showing up in the Report Campaign field. But when I changed my dimension from date to Text, I see all the data.

It looks like your data source has that field also set to Text, but can you double check that is the case? (Perhaps recreating the data source will solve that issue...)

Best 

Rick