Data Studio
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Is my data sampled? Is it possible to get a yes|no indicator and % in data studio?

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

This is not a question about whether my data will be sampled or not.

My question is - is there anyway to get a dimension reporting a true or false answer regarding whether my query is sampled? Of course, I can always compare the data to GA and query explorer but it would make life a lot faster if I could see this directly in the data studio interface.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Is my data sampled? Is it possible to get a yes|no indicator and % in data studio?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Did you get a reply to this question. I see it says '1 Expert reply' but I can't see it?

I would really like to know the answer to this question or have it added in as a scorecard or metric that can be indicated on a report.

I realise that Data Studio always provides the data at the equivalent of the 'Faster Processing' option in the GA interface - i.e. it is more likely than not to use sampled data, but for a View Only user seeing a report there is literally nothing to indicate whether or not the report they are seeing is using anything sampled, and it would be handy if only to help them understand that they might need to view the data with a pinch of salt.

Thanks in anticipation. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I would like to know this too. My understanding is that the data is sampled if a report run the same way in GA is sampled. But that doesn't help, since there isn't any visibility to the level of sampling while in DS.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This would be very handy. I also vote for changing the sampling threshold so it uses the "Greater Precision" option in the GA interface rather than "Faster Processing."

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

hi @Steve C - weirdly, the expect reply seems to be my own - so no, no new information on this. It would be excellent to have a dimension of sampling, and the % - it's exposed in the google sheets google analytics add-on, and with the query explorer, but is not available via the API, which is frustrating when using third party tools to visualise and report data. If I see anything new, I'll try to remember to report here. The only work around I can think of is to create a API query in google sheets, with exactly the same parameters, and then  report the sampled information fields in Data Studio - making the assumption that the level of sampling will be the same. I've done this with Klipfolio, for example.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Thanks for this, it's really helpful. I've not previously used the Google Sheets plug-in but I've given it a whirl this morning and whilst it is a clunkier interface it certainly has some potential for what I need.

I have run some experiments and what I've found is that the Google Sheets API appears to sample at the 'Greater Precision' setting. I deduced this by matching a fairly basic GA interface query that pulled in Medium and Landing page over a full calendar year. I got a 6.89% sample rate reported out of the Google Sheets plug-in. Using the GA interface itself the row values matched exactly when set at 'Greater Precision'.

When using the Data Studio however, the row data for an identical query does not match exactly. If I revert my GA interface to the 'Faster Response' sampling setting then I get an exact match for the Data Studio output.

As such I conclude that currently things are as follows:

Google Data Studio = 'Faster Response' sampling rate

Google Sheets plug-in = 'Greater Precision' sampling rate

It's not exactly consistent is it? Would be infinitely preferable for Google Devs to at least provide some control switch and visibility of outcome.