Data Studio
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible to create filters on metrics, rather than dimensions?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In particular, I would like to create a table that shows:

1. Landing Page (dimension)

2. Bounce Rate (metric)

3. Sessions only if greater than 10 <-- is this possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it possible to create filters on metrics, rather than dimensions?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nick,

Sure, you can do that with a report filter:
Start with a landing page report (Behavior > Content > Landing Pages)
Next to the search box above the report table and apply an advanced filter that includes only sessions "greater than" 10

See screenshot linked below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2i9zt22d252nam/Screenshot%202016-05-26%2023.01.05.png?dl=0
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julien,

do you know if it is possible to create the exact same filter in Google Data Studio? I want to list traffic-sources ordered by the highest conversion rate but want to filter out all the traffic-sources with 1 session and 100% conversion rate. Google Data Studio doesn't offer "less than" / "greater than". Only equals.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Give it time, DS will offer more options in the future.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also looking for this functionality.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You could try a CASE function to create a new metric to plot in your visualization - for instance:

[ CASE WHEN Sessions > 10 THEN Sessions ELSE 0 END ] - you can plot this instead of the default Sessions metric

[ CASE WHEN Sessions > 10 THEN Bounce Rate ELSE 0 END ] - you can plot this instead of the default Bounce Rate metric

The landing pages won't be filtered out of your visualization, but they should drop to the bottom of the list, since the CASE function is setting their session value to 0. Likewise, if you are looking to sort your list by Bounce Rate, create a similar CASE function metric to plot - if you want to look at pages with the lowest bounce rate (but more than 10 sessions), then sort ascending by your Bounce Rate CASE metric and set the ELSE value of your CASE function to 1 instead of zero, which sets a bounce rate of 100% for landing pages with fewer than 11 sessions.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How much time?  Life is short and this is basic, basic functionality.  I can't create a comparison chart using a single event metric with two different filters applied.  Filters can only be applied on a chart basis, not a metric basis.  Boo.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I just had a similar circumstance. Using a filter with the REGEXP MATCH I was able to do < 10. For greater than 10, it's actually quite simple, you can INCLUDE a 2 digit number, repeated unlimited times. Or, you could EXCLUDE instances where a single digit exists as a "word" using word boundaries. 

I think excluding \b([0-9])\b should do it, but don't quote me on that. It just took me way to long to figure out my fucked up case regex masterpiece

This is a good starting place though: http://www.regular-expressions.info/numericranges.html

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Look at calculated metrics with a case & regex.