Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Is GA data in Data Studio sampled?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pretty straight forward question. When I connect Data Studio to GA, is the data it uses sampled at all?

*Using Free Version of GA

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben K
June 2016

Re: Is GA data in Data Studio sampled?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Ben

Data Studio doesn't add (or remove) any sampling of GA data. Whatever you'd see in GA is what you'll see in Data Studio.

Hope this helps.

Rick

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the question.

There are sampling possibilities. More details, including how to edit a sample report can be found here:

https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6292498?hl=en

If you need more assistance let me know.

Best,

Shannon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

That's not my question. I'm asking about sampled (a % of all) data. I'm using the free version of GA and since I have over 50,000 sessions in my data set, GA samples the data. I'm asking if Data Studio overrides this or not.

Thanks,
Ben
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben K
June 2016

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Ben

Data Studio doesn't add (or remove) any sampling of GA data. Whatever you'd see in GA is what you'll see in Data Studio.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rick!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I am not sure what that answer means. In GA, where I am paying for a premium account, I get (A) the ability to select either speed vs precision, and (B) the ability to get unsampled reports. Which of the three options is used by Data Studio?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Hi Kjell

Data Studio only shows the data available through the data source. Sampling depends on the GA property you've selected for the data source. So if it's a premium property and the dimensions you've selected for your report aren't sampled in GA (or if the amount of data in that property doesn't warrant sampling) then your Data Studio reports will show unsampled data.

Does that make sense?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't have Premium GA so in order to get the un-sampled data that is required for my quarterly reports I have to run each month separately, export the data to Excel and then combine them using pivot tables in Excel for my actual numbers. My question is similar to the OP - My quarterly reports require a great deal of manual work because I don't have GA Premium. If I switch to using Data Studio reports, when I use the custom sort for "This Quarter" in DS is it going to give me a sample like in GA which requires me to only run numbers one month at a time or is it going to give me un-sampled data for the whole quarter? If it is the former then Data Studio will be unusable for me and I suspect for many others who do not have GA Premium (now 360).

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
Hi Tami,

Data Studio only shows the data you'd have access to in your underlying data set. It's not a separate data collection tool. If you need to show GA Premium data, you need to be a GA Premium user. Similarly, to create a BigQuery data source, you'd need to have access to the appropriate BQ table and project.

Does that clarify things?

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It appears that you are saying the answer is "no, you cannot create non-sampled quarterly reports" - given that my data for a certain time frame (a quarter) is sampled in GA then it will also be sampled if I try to create a data studio report for that same time period. It is disappointing as this means I can only do monthly and not quarterly reporting in Data Studio unless I have GA 360.

For me, it means any reporting beyond a month's worth of data will have to be done manually. The only benefit I get from Data Studio at this point is being able to put Excel data together with live GA data - but now that I understand I am limited to monthly reports only due to not having GA 360 I am not sure it's worth it. I hope Google can come out with something that midsize organizations can afford someday that will give us better reporting than the free version but not be as costly as GA 360.