Data Studio
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Is Data Studio Not Meant To Handle Embedded Calcs in Imported Excel?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi -- let me preface this by saying I am new to google data studio.  

I've been looking around for a low-cost service that I could use to take some of the excel-based financial models I've built at my company -- and convert them to web-based interactive reports / applications.  I thought google data studio might be a good candidate.  But when I imported one or two of my models, it seems like the embedded calculations weren't being picked up.

So my question is -- is google data studio not the right tool for what I'm trying to do?  It seems like google data studio may only be able to handle static raw data being imported.  Rather than a mix of static data and dynamic calculations.

And to the extent that anyone knows of a reasonably low cost service or product that does this (assuming google data studio doesn't) -- let me know if you have any suggestions for what I should be using.

Thanks.

-Julian

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

How are you trying to dynamically import data? If you mean that you regularly add new rows of data to the spreadsheet and you would like to have Data Studio update automatically as well, then this is possible with Google Sheets but maybe not excel. 

You could, however, grab an Add-on in Sheets that automatically updates a sheet using data from an excel file on your computer. 

Once you have data updating automatically in Google Sheets, you can use those Sheets in DS and add calculated columns to tables with excel like formulas. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I think he meant formulas in Excel (not new records / rows).