AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Invalid Dimension - Google Drive/Sheets

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 15.09.50.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-26 at 15.09.55.pngTrying to display the simplest form of Google Sheet in my report, but it only gives me "Invalid Dimension" (in Swedish...) 

The "xls" file in Drive is pasted data from Excel, with "Paste values" chosen. Should not be any referencing... 

I also tried to do create a manual Sheet file, but still the same problem. 

Could if be because the system I'm using has Swedish as language? Still, only Ascii characters are used... Sad!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Markus B
June 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

It looks like those are metrics (dimensions are blue) and that they're dates going across columns. If you're trying to have a dimension that's a date, you may want to set up your dataset like this:

Date     Value

Date1    Value1

Date2    Value2

etc

Instead of the dates going across the columns. Then, in the edit section of the dataset in data studio, you'll have one dimension that's called date (it should be green and the "typ" should be set as the date and what type of date it is, YYYYMMDD). 

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What kind of a dimension is it? Is it possible that DS isn't able to tell what type of format your dimension should have, so it's returning an error? If you go into the edit pen, what format is your dimension set as (and is that correct)?

Re: Invalid Dimension - Google Drive/Sheets

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, thanks for taking your time on this!

The dimension is simple date and numerical values. Pressing the pen gives me this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 16.00.20.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Markus B
June 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

It looks like those are metrics (dimensions are blue) and that they're dates going across columns. If you're trying to have a dimension that's a date, you may want to set up your dataset like this:

Date     Value

Date1    Value1

Date2    Value2

etc

Instead of the dates going across the columns. Then, in the edit section of the dataset in data studio, you'll have one dimension that's called date (it should be green and the "typ" should be set as the date and what type of date it is, YYYYMMDD). 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I meant dimensions are green and metrics are blue.