AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Incorrect data coming through with Event Total metric

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I am hoping that someone can answer this question for me:

I have the Java error built in tag set up in tag manager and tracking on GA. My issue is when I build a time series table for Total Events. when do not break it down by a breakdown dimension I get a lower number then when I break it down by Operating System. I have a filter to include only the Event category JavaScript Error event category (the tag event category for the java error trigger). The data in the view that is not broken down is consistent with Google Analytics, but the broken down version is not. 

for example: when not broken down I get roughly 2k errors. When broken down I get 2.5k errors.

If anyone can give me a little clarification on why this is happening I would be extremely grateful!

I've included some pictures for reference  broken down.PNG

not broken down.PNG

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Ryan,

Can you share or describe how the GTM tag is set up? 

Best guess is it's either a tag configuration issue, or has to do with how Google Analytics is aggregating the error events.

Regards,

Rick

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Of course I can!

I'll share a picture here as well. 

java error tag.PNG

the trigger used is the standard Java Error trigger that comes built in tag manager already. 

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Ryan,

It looks like that tag is set up ok, so my guess is it's something to do with how GA is aggregating the events. Do you see the same discrepancy if you report on that data in GA (if that's possible)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick, 

That's just the thing. I don't see that issue when I build a report in GA. It is a mystery why I cant get the data to match. My filters are the exact same.