Data Studio
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Include empty custom dimensions as blank/(not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I feel like the functionality of this has changed and previously data would pull in as I'm hoping for, but perhaps I've a hopeful memory :-)

Within Google Analytics when you attempt to add a custom dimension that has no value it'll use that blank value to filter out the entire row of data from the report. I'm almost certain DataStudio didn't work in the same way, however I've attempted this today in a table:

Dimensions CD1, CD2

Metrics - Sessions

CD1 always has values but CD2 has the occasional value missing (these are page enhancing custom dimensions), when I try and interact with CD2 in any way our data goes missing.

For example, if you try this in a calculated metric:

CASE WHEN Cd1 IS NULL THEN "Unknown" ELSE Cd1 END

The row of data is still removed from the report.

This is incredibly confusing for users using GDS and I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious that can enable this data to show. I think for the general end user a toggle for show/hide rows with empty dimensions is a far better UX than discarding data without any user knowledge - carnage! Perhaps there is a solid architecture reason that compels this, but if so I would like to suggest it as a consideration.

Thanks

Will

Include empty custom dimensions as blank/(not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone that can help with this it would be very much appreciated. I'm trying to debug WHY data would be empty in a custom dimension right now, but there's no way to view data in GDS with an empty custom dimension. My calculated field:

CASE WHEN Event Label IS NULL THEN "EMPTY" ELSE Event Label END

Is SUPER straight forward, but when the label is not set, those rows disappear from the report.