2.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to use time hh:mm:ss instead of date in time series

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I find it easy to use dates with time series.  I need to use hh:mm as the time series unit.  I am having difficulty with this.  How do I set up data in Google Sheets such that Data Studio recognizes to do a time series based on the hour, or minutes within the hour?  Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to use time hh:mm:ss instead of date in time series

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Margaret. 

Data Studio has built-in time formats for Date Hour, Hour, and Minute. Those should give you what you want (depending on what you want to do, of course ;-)

The basic technique for including different date formats is to make a copy of your date time dimension and apply the "semantic type" you want.

Here's an example:

I created a Google Sheet with date time data (.e.g., 3/7/2017 2:30:00)

In my data source, I made sure that dimension was set to Date Hour.

I made two copies of that field and set their types to Hour and Minute, respectively.

I can then use them in time series charts in my report:

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 4.26.16 PM.pngdata source exampleScreen Shot 2017-03-07 at 4.31.22 PM.pngreport example 

Hope this helps!

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rick - where are hours and minutes?

When I go to manage data source, I don't see those options when duplicating my data field... 

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 10.51.59 AM.png

When I export YYYYMMDDHH it comes out as text which isn't useable.  

David

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

David, what are you using as a Data Source? Does your data definitely contain hour in the date field?

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi David,

I don't see a scroll bar in your screenshot, but if it's there, scroll to the bottom of the date types menu. If it's not there... can you make sure that all the data in the Google Sheet column is actual date data, with full year, month, day, hours, and minutes?

BTW, you can change the type and display format in the report now:

1. Edit the report
  2. Select the time series (or other chart)
  3. In the Date dimension field, click the edit pencil icon on the left.
  4. Adjust the semantic Type and Show As options as needed

2017-11-16_10-10-39.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

David have the same problemas as I. Data Studio don't let you format a variable like HH:MM (Google Spreadsheets do this easily).

Another issue is that the graphic begin the count of hours at 0h. My data starts at 9h. I can't see a way to change this.

This product (Google Data Studio) is too "Beta". It's a great idea, but need a lot more features to be a pratical "studio".