AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to select a rolling end date and a fixed start date in Data Studio?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to create a report that is rolling from a specific date. E.g. the start date is 26th Feb 2017 but I want the end date to be today. The data needs to continue to refresh.

Is there a formula that can do this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lucy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lucy W
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lucy,

Unfortunately the function to have a fixed start date rolling to today isn't available at present.

Hope that helps,

Ben

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lucy W
April 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lucy,

Unfortunately the function to have a fixed start date rolling to today isn't available at present.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Lucy,

If your dataset does not have any future data, then you could arbitrarily pick a day in the far future as your end day. This way your report will always show most current information from the fixed state date to 'today'.
Start date: Feb 26/2017
End date: June 30/2022

If you do have future dated information in your dataset and you only want to show to-date information in your report:

You could create a formula in your dataset that checks if the date is before or equal to today.

Example:
date column = 4/24/2017
check column = if(date <=today(),1,0)

Result = 0

Then add a report filter to exclude: 
Exclude Where check column = 0

Thanks,
Donavyn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know I'm a bit late replying, but for data from Google Analytics you could create a segment in GA with a condition include sessions 'Date is on or after XXXX'. 

Then, if you set the date range for that chart/graph in Data Studio as this year, and apply this segment, it'll only show data from the date specified in the segment. 

Timeline graphs can look a little strange using this method, they start at the start of the range you've selected in Data Studio, with no data until the start date specified in the GA segment, so you need to choose the date range in Data Studio appropriately. 

Hope that helps,

Mike