AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to fetch single cell value in Data Studio?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to fetch single cell value from Google Spreadsheet and show it on Google Data Studio. How to do it?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Chetan M, this should be 100% doable - I'm presuming you want to create a scorecard in Data Studio?

If so, you'll need to put that value in cell B1 in your spreadsheet, with any date inside cell A1. Then, add that spreadsheet tab as a new data source (uncheck the "Use first row as headers" checkbox, unless your data is already in A2+B2, with headers in A1+B1).

With that data source in hand, you should be able to create a scorecard with your dimension from column A and your metric from column B.

If you have multiple "single cell values" you want to plot in scorecards, you can add those in additional columns in your spreadsheet.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having this same issue. In order to use the data as a metric, you must choose an aggregation type. Unfortunately, there is no aggregation type that references just the value of the cell. Is there a way to work around this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What value do you want to fetch? As Drew suggested, you can use a scorecard, and then just apply filters to it. 

The drawback to a scorecard is that the value you return has to be a metric, not a dimension.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey,

Choose "scorecard" -> "create new metric" - blue plus sign. From there it's pretty straight forward. You can be creative on how to narrow down on it if it's part of a data set.

this might be useful https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/7359285?hl=en

Good luck!

Re: How to fetch single cell value in Data Studio?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the function for pulling one value?

Here's the specific issue:

My spreadsheet is a table of months and number of facebook followers for each month. I don't want to aggregate the follower data in any way, since this number fluctuates monthly. The scorecard must pull a single value based on which month we're reporting on. I don't see a way to choose "followers" as a metric with the scorecard without aggregating the data. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't undersand the question

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When I look at my company's Facebook data, there's some fluctuation up and down by day, but for the most part, the followers are increasing over time. What I do is use a scorecard that pulls in the max value of followers for the given time period. This should work as long as your trajectory is steadily up, but wouldn't if you're seeing more significant fluctuations.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A month ago I was able to create a table that only showed one row from my Sheets Data. It had no Dimensions, 3 metrics, and included a filter to only include data if a value from Column A matched name. Now if I look at the same report, it says there is No Data. The only workaround is including the Metric that is identical to my filter, but it now shows the Metric as a value in the table, taking up unnecessary space.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It would be great to be able to display data without aggregation, for instance, plain text out of a sql selection.