Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

How to embed Data Studio into an intranet

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all. 

I am looking to share my Data Studio reports with my company.  Not all of them have Google Accounts.  Is there a way to share the data studio report and lock it down with something like a username and passowrd/ or by IP address? 

Advice on best ways to share would be great! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Grant K -- I know this is an old thread but I'm searching our boards for people who asked about embedded reports and replying to them.

I just posted an update on this topic in this thread. If this seems interesting to you please feel free to reach out at the email address I included and we can discuss further! In general we now support viewing of public reports for non-logged in users, so if you make your report public, embed it on a password-protected page (once we launch that feature), and ask users to not share the URL you might be able to get the desired solution.

Hope that helps!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Alon G - thanks for reaching out- I just emailed through- but got a bounce back message that the email is not monitored - would love to be able to embed it on a password protected page - and I have actually got customers who would allow me to test that feature today.  ( some might be willing to do case studies too)

Feel free to let me know. 

Re: How to embed Data Studio into an intranet

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Simple solution for you:

1. In DS, when in View mode, click on the little "Share this report" icon
  2. Click on Advanced
  3. Click on Change...
  4. Change the permission to a) "On - yourcompanyname" or b) "On - Anyone with the link..."

Since not everyone has a Google account, option (a) is more secure but might not work, so (b) would seem a good option. However, if ever the link is shared outside of your corporate network, absolutely anyone will be able to view the report... which might not be what you want...

With Google 360, there are ways to setup single sign-on so people wouldn't have to create a Google account. But I have never personally seen it done.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Salut Stephane! 

Unfortunately that solution doesn't work for the customers. 

They want 

- to access the data within their existing intranet. 

- They want to control access to the intranet and use that to authenticate the user. 

- They don't want users to have to manage multiple logins due to the support overhead - and this function is already handled by the CMS. 

- Multiple companies/ agencies using the data ( even within the same business)

- They want to add the actions to the report and keep the actions within the Drupal so it can be pulled into their existing workflows. 

- They want to ensure outside users can't access it. 

Ideally just being able to iframe into the page would be a good solution with some kind of password control - wold be great solution - and really simple.  

Currently they are looking at other dashboarding solutions to facilitate this - but GA Data studio would be the best option if this feature is supported.  (even at modest cost)

Re: How to embed Data Studio into an intranet

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In theory, anything is technically possible... but... I'm afraid this would be really complex...

Google has a solution for that, described here.

"SSO  enables users to access all of their enterprise cloud applications—including administrators signing in to the Admin console—by signing in one time for all services."

Note that alternative cloud-based dashboard solution will likely have the same issue and will rely on the same concept of SAML authentication. The solution that would answer all requirements because it can be hosted on premise (or owned cloud) is Tableau Server, but there are considerations for cost and ease of use (depending on the digital analytics maturity level of this client, going for a high-end solution like Tableau might not be advisable if they aren't ready for it)